1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Energy Use For FCVs Higher Than EVs

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by El Dobro, May 5, 2017.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The hurdle as I see it is that in order to bring the cost of fuel cells and hydrogen stations down, you need to be able to sell more cars, but even in my metal hydride romance, I don't see the hydrogen pros out weighing the cons to support the required tax dollar invest to make that possible.

I do support fuel cell research, because they might replace the ICE as range extender for a plug in in the farther future. Just not ones fueled by pure hydrogen.

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    We have wonderful examples of fuel cell fork lifts ;-) Here we have low power requirements, and central refueling where the cost of the fuel doesn't matter much compared to the cost of labor and spare equipment to change batteries. Space craft is another great example. The car or SUV though, you need major breakthroughs to get many people to buy fuel cell versions of them, even subsidized, even with subsidized fuel. because of range in and fueling restrictions. Japan is trying the heavy subsidies route, we should see more results soon. I think Japan is unlikely to be sucessful, and they have the advantage of trade barriers to tesla, bmw, and chevy.