1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Energy vs. Comsumption screen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by laundryczar, Feb 28, 2006.

1. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Welcome!

I leave it on Map most of the time so that sorta sidesteps the question. :)

BTW, although not official, the consensus is that the plural is "Prii." I supposed that's pronounced PREE-EYE.

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

actually the wife's 2k4 starts up in user screen #2, the ones that Toyota provide don't do much for her anymore. She wants to know what the ICE temp is and the BSOC so she knows when it's going to go into S4 and how much fuel is left in the tank.

3. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok - just to stir things up, I'm going to disagree with this entire thread.

My 06 Prius, Package #7 [Build 12/05], merrily returns at startup to whatever screen it was at at shutdown - and I would be annoyed if it didn't. Whether I leave it on Energy Monitor, Consumption, Map, Audio, or Climate - that's the screen that first appears when the car powers on. With the exception of Map, in which case the first thing I see is the I Agree panel, and then the Map.

Am I correct in inferring from this thread, that my 06 is behaving differently than everyone else's, or am I misreading things?

-Ken

4. tunabreath

tunabreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wonder whether this behavior is affected by the option that switches back to the previous screens after the audio/climate screen. I have that option turned on, and my 2006 starts up with either the Consumptio screen (if it was on Consumption or Energy when I shut it off) or on "I Agree" and then Map if it was on Map when I shut it off.

[Edit: my build date is 11/05]

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

well I'm starting to wonder if this all comes down to the fact that there is 2 possibly 3 different MFD's in the early 2k6 Prius. Some with Nav and some without, and a possible update for the ones without Nav. So I'd suggest for this thread that the responders include the build date from the car so we can start to track when things have changed.

6. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wonder whether this behavior is affected by the option that switches back to the previous screens after the audio/climate screen.

I just fiddled with the setting, and it didn't make a difference either way.

Some with Nav and some without, and a possible update for the ones without Nav.

The OP has a package #7, which is the same package I have, so it's unlikely to be a with nav/without nav difference.

I tend to agree that it's probably build date related. We know the 11/05's and 12/05's are different (ala - the AM Radio voice command).

What we really need are release notes, cause you know it's all just firmware..... :)

-Ken

7. rposton

rposton Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I too have an 06 Prius, mine has the package 8, and I think that the answer is, No. Now you can set the "Automatic transition" screen setting to "On", mine is set to "Off", and my recolection is that whenever you start the car, you get that screen that warns you to follow all driving laws... Once I saw that the radio would display what songs that the FM and AM stations in my area were playing, I turned that feature off.

8. rposton

rposton Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sort of off subject, but still talking about the MFD, I tried what I think was called the MFD dance, otherwise known as the workaround to allow working the NAV and Phone screen while driving. The MFD dance did not and does not work on mine. Also, I noticed, not sure if it is related, the image of the buttons on my touch screen are different than the image icons on the pictures that were connected to the work-around instructions. In other words, I think the MFD with my 06 with package 8 is different version than what is found on the 04s and 05s.

9. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    That is a true statement. The NAV override that works on the 04/05s does not work on the 06's. We're told there *is* a secret dance, but it's a different secret dance, and it's not yet known.

-Kern

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    try accessing the programming screen. i believe there is an option for how the screen changes.

dont really remember how to get there now. it involves touching the corner of the screens and stuff. maybe wrong, but what the heck, if you havent seen the screen its a treat...

i'll have to look around and see if i can t find the exact steps...

11. jpeachman

jpeachman Junior Member

FWIW, my non-nav 2006 always starts on the consumption screen, even if I powered off with the energy screen showing. I specifically verified this behavior today after reading this thread last night. I gather from some of today's earlier posts that there may be a setting somewhere that may turn this behavior on or off; don't know if it is present on non-nav models or not. It definitely isn't something I've changed; mine is defaulting to the consumption screen because I got it that way, not because I chose anything that makes it do so. Of course, I find that kind of handy, as I prefer to be on the consumption screen about 98% of the time anyway. Other than flipping to the energy screen for an occasional check of the battery SOC, the consumption screen is really what helps me the most in achieving better mileage. I'm not sure what that says about me with regard to the good Dr. Fusco's stages....

12. laundryczar

laundryczar New Member

FWIW: my build date is 1/06. kdmorse (see above) has a virtually identical Prius but built in 11/05 and his screen starts off where it left off. What happened between November and January? I mean I know what happened but I wonder why?

13. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes release note Prius Software V04.2 build 347e! And for good measure they can shrink wrap the entire car with a I agree pull tab to remove it explaining our rights using the software!!

14. rposton

rposton Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I sort of did the same thing. With this thread in mind, I have been playing with the MFD, and my 06 with NAV will start at either the Energy or Consumption screen, depending upon which one was displayed when I turned the car off. However, if it is at the NAV screen, when I turn the car off, at startup it will begin at the "I Agree" screen.

I have the "Automatic Transition" set to off.

I am curiose now about that build date. I know that my 06 arrived in town in December 05.

15. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

:lol:

I know the feeling...

:ph34r:

16. rposton

rposton Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is there a "programming screen" on the 06?

17. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well cant find the one screen and not sure if anything could be changed on it. i did find one that attilla (i think) originally published where you access the screen by powering up to ACC mode. press and hold the info button and turn headlights on and off 3 times. that takes you to a test and info screen. it allows you to calibrate the screen, run basic diagnostic tests and check software versions and stuff like that.

there is another screen option that involves hitting alternate corners of the screen three times. but cant find that one (ok... truth is, forgot to look) right now.

18. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
  19. Lola'05

Lola'05 New Member

Lola has been with me for 7 months now. I have gone through the stages mentioned and am just about to enter the 4th stage. This seems right on track from what I have experienced. Love my baby!

20. rposton

rposton Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I will give it a try and get back to you.

However on the original subject;
    Scenario 1: Fully start vehicle (this is where you start it and can see the "Ready" light), set the MFD on Energy, turn veh. off, go to bed, next morning, start veh., and the MFD will come up to a "Toyota" symbol and word, and then go to Consumption screen.

Scenario 2: Do IG-ON, start car, set MFD to Energy Screen, shut car totally off, wait some minutes, start car again, and it comes up to the Energy Screen, again, and again. Turn car off, go to bed, come back next morning, and turn car on, and after the Toyota symbol and word, it will be back at the Consumption screen.