1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Energysaver a/s out of stock

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by armyguy08, Nov 2, 2013.

1. armyguy08

armyguy08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After going to Costco and being told they can't order Energysaver A/s tires, I found another place that is going to the ends of the lower 48 in search of available tires. Both reps said they are back ordered and nearly impossible to get. Anyone else run into this situation? I am going to need tires before the snow flies which will be here before I know it. Does this have anything to do with the $70 rebate going on for the last two months?

2. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  3. armyguy08

armyguy08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I looked there first and then saw the shipping cost of getting the in stock tires. $60 bux kinda defeats the idea of a $70 rebate. I'm hoping to pick them up and not get them shipped to me.

4. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So maybe you should add Wisconsin to the thread title.

Sorry if that seems rude but I see thread after thread entitled "Energy Saver A/S out of stock" when I can still buy them and even worse I see people repeating this as is if it is a fact in other threads saying things like

"oh yeah, but you can't buy those tires" or "didn't they stop making those" or some such and I keep checking and seeing it's just misinformation again.

To be clear it is a tire that is always in demand and supply isn't overwhelming but it isn't perpetually out of stock, it's just perpetually low on stock.

5. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I consider that tire a summer tire not a winter tire, I like studs in a winter tire

What's up with this "best" ever Michelin tire stopping production, my thoughts blame .....BobLutz

6. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'd call it an all season tire (as in fine from summer to winter so long as you don't see much snow or ice). There is a non A/S version of the Energy Saver that is a true summer only tire for those really hot parts of the country. I can't imagine using the A/S as a winter tire (as in you switch tires twice a year) unless you lived somewhere that was too hot to use the A/S in the summer but I'd happily use it as an all year round tire in my neck of the woods.

As to stopping manufacturing
    Maybe there is an ingredient in it that is seasonal in pricing or availability so they only produce them when they can?

Maybe there is an ingredient that is scarce to they can only produce so many a year and they have to shut down production when that ingredient isn't available?

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Costco USA's also got a $70 rebate on Bridgestone Ecopia, and they're in stock. They have close RR values, and are cheaper to boot.

8. Spindifferent

Spindifferent Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For what it is worth, the Energy Saver A/S is likely not in-stock anywhere in the Austin, Tx area. NTB can't order them, and Discount Tire says they are backlogged 8-12 weeks. TireRack only has them in-stock in their GA warehouse, and their other two warehouses won't have them until Jan/Feb next year.

Maybe Michelin has shifted production to the winter tires?

9. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just saw them on Tirerack's site with $70 rebate. With shipping costs, the price would be just over $400 after rebate where I live. It could be they are not in production right now, and stores who don't have them in stock can't order until they're back in production.

10. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would seriously consider a different set of tires. Imagine if you managed to find a set, but then suddenly had an unrepairable puncture.

Besides, the only good part about these tires is their great fuel economy. They have terrible wet grip, a lousy ride quality and very soft sidewalls. I put about 40k on my set and they still had 5/32" left. I upgraded to a set of 17" ct200H wheels with Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires and the ride comfort actually went UP.

11. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Glad to have this confirmation regarding ride comfort. I just bought a set of Primacy for the same reasons. Wanted ride comfort above all else, and the handling and grip ratings seemed good enough, compared to the Michelin Defender and Continental PureContact (though if I still lived in Nebraska, I might have gone for the PureContact, for its snow and ice capabilities). Just didn't feel good about trading worse tire performance in other areas for a few MPGs, especially with my low amount of driving. Still haven't gotten to try them out yet though, since my car is sitting at the dealer waiting for a new ball joint and lower control arm. Gotta love these Houston streets and their potholes! At least that pothole prompted me to change to better tires now, instead of waiting several years...

12. Spindifferent

Spindifferent Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've driven many miles on Houston's so-called "streets", and was glad to leave that city for better pavement in the Austin area. Will be interesting to hear how the Primacy does for you. I think it was a good choice for Houston. I'll be installing a new set of the Energy Saver A/S next week. Bought them from TireRack and they are arriving at the installer sometime today. With mostly longer highway driving, MPG was most important for me here in Central Texas.

13. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm sure the the Energy Savers are a good choice too, especially for people driving more highway miles and trying to maximize mpgs.

Got car back yesterday, so not much drive time yet, but 1st impressions are very good. Much more insulated or padded feeling ride, but still good handling (no wallowing like with the OEM Goodyear Assurance). Haven't been on the highway yet, but seems quieter or more subdued (just like the ride). I got these because they seemed to have the highest user ratings on tirerack.com for noise and ride comfort. Consumer Reports has them at the top of their ratings list for performance all season tires, including excellent scores for ride comfort, noise and, surprisingly, rolling resistance. Primacy is much heavier than the Ecopia and Energy Saver, so I'm not expecting mileage to go up, but maybe it won't go down either.

Oddly, CR only gave the Continental PureContact average marks for hydroplaning, snow traction and ice braking, which is contrary to the user ratings and internal reviews on tirerack.com. The PureContact even beat the Primacy on mpgs in tirerack's testing, possibly because PureContact is 5 lbs lighter.

14. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    FWIW I bought a set in January and they were made in week 52 of 2013.

I had no problem finding them in stock at multiple tire stores in town.

One of the stores tried to sell me Defenders instead saying that Michelin was going to stop making the Energy Saver A/S but I'll deal with that in another 30,000 to 40,000 miles when I'm looking for tires again. I don't believe it now any more than I believed it for the last few years they've been saying it.

If they ever do truly stop making the Energy Saver A/S I'm sure they'll come out with another alternative besides the Defender.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't think the Defenders are anywhere near Energy Saver A/S for LRR. Keep in mind, the Michelin is not the only player. If they continue to restrict supply and keep high price on the Energy Saver, maybe they're not that serious about RR, look at competitors?

16. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I barely have 1,000 miles on my tires. I have tons of time before I'm worried about their competitors. ;)

I hope by then we'll have required specs like the UK has for fuel efficiency, wet traction, noise. (
    National Tyres and Autocare - Complete Guide To Tyre Labelling
    )