1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engier PHEV for *NORMAL* drivers (High Speed)

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by 240sxer, Jan 12, 2010.

1. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

I'm very close to buying the 4kWh Enginer PHEV kit for my 2006 Prius with 96k Miles on it. I'm just curious, is it a good idea (rather a bad idea) to install a PHEV kit on a Prius with high miles like mine?

Also, all those hypermiling tricks I stopped doing after about 30k miles. I drive it like a 'normal' car. Which means I often floor the gas, I commonly drive anywhere from 85-105mph on the freeway for long periods of time. I rarely make any trips that are under 30 miles. I currently average anywhere from 42-46mpg most of the time.

I really just don't want to have to constantly play with it, I don't want to have to drive a certain way, I just hope I can use it to help me get better MPG WITHOUT adjusting my driving style.

It seems that the Enginer kit is pretty much perfect for someone like me. I'm just curious how much it would improve my 42-46mpg average with the 8kWh system.

2. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi 240sxer,
    I have a 2005 with the 4kwhr kit. I was getting 45mpg before the kit and now I am getting 65mpg with the kit. I started with quite a modified driving patern but now I am getting just a little more agressive while still geting the improved mileage.

Your coment about "I rarely make any trips that are under 30 miles." makes me wonder. I pretty much drained the Enginer batteries at 35 miles. If your doing 60 to 100 miles, I would suggest that Plug-in may not be the best for you. After about 40 miles you are carrying extra weight but not getting any more advantage.

Thanks,
    Dan Lander

1 person likes this.
  3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    240sxer,
    A couple of questions for you
    1) Where do you live? Just wondering, because in cold climates you will not be able to use the system as much as someone in a warmer climate.
    At this point in time you WILL have to attend to the batteries when they are charging. You will need to make sure they do not over charge.
    For now, it's not like your cell phone where you can simply plug it in and let it charge all by itself. This may change in the future, but it is simply a fact for now.

2) How long (time-wise) are your average trips?

As for miles on your odometer, the actual mileage on your vehicle should not make any difference.

Lastly you mention 4kwh system at the beginning of your post but 8kwh at the end of your post. Which are you considering?

1 person likes this.
  4. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Mostly what determines if you're a good fit for the Enginer kit or not, is how tech-savvy and patient you are. It's not a plug-and-play kit, it takes some baby sitting to get it to work properly.

If you expect it to be a plug-and-play kit, then you'll be disappointed. If you want a plan-and-play kit - prepare to pay through the nose for it.

Real all the Enginer threads for examples of what you need to do to get the most out of the kit.

1 person likes this.
  5. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

I live in Sunny So cal. It gets cold in my area but not very. It's actually already getting warmer now but the coldest we really see is 25 or so overnight, but during the day it's usually 60+ even in the winter. As for attending the charge and how much intervention? For how long do you think I’ll have to before I can just plug it in and go? I can get as low as $0.09 per KWH at night with my electric company, but that's between 12am and 6am. So if I’m going to have to sit there and 'attend' it when it's charging that's not going to work for me. My commute to work in back is 45 miles. I can charge it at work though, otherwise my average trips are usually 30-40 miles (total round trip). I was initially looking at getting the 8Kwh system but it's looking like only the 4kwh system is really what's being sold. I'm pretty tech savvy, but I don't really want something that I’m going to constantly have to mess with, I don't mind some moderate intervention from time to time, but I really don't want something that I’m ALWAYS going to have to babysit nightly (forever not just for a few weeks or months till I get it right).

Other than that it sounds good to get 65mpg. That sounds ideal. I can drive better and get better if I choose. Which I probably will…

1 person likes this.
  6. drees

drees Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Possibly the next iteration of the Enginer system which will have a better BMS system will work.

Please read all the other Enginer threads - there's a wealth of info spread in them.

7. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Again,
    So now you are sounding more like a candidate for this kit. To get the full benifit you would need to charge at work.

I have done a charge everyday for the last 10 days. I have to monitor the end of the charge and shut it down manually before a cell overcharges. The longest charge was for 6 hours. The shortest was for 2 hours. I use a clamp-on DC ammeter to tell when the charge is getting to the end.

Others are using a timer. I will let them tell you about that. My suggestion to you would be to charge at work using a timer and then do a full charge at home monitoring the end of charge.

Here is my thread if you want some more detail.
    First Enginer PHEV install in the Portland Or area, Gen2

Thanks,
    Dan

1 person likes this.
  8. banshee08

banshee08 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    240SXER,

I live in sunny So. Cali. also. I have a 2010 Prius with 8 kWh of batteries from Enginer. I have to admit I try to hypermile until traffic does not allow it so I am probably a bad example of a normal driver. My total daily commute is about 70 miles and I charge at work also. I am getting about 85~90 mpg on the average using only one converter. Dan is right though, if you cannot charge at work then you will need at the minimum of 8kWh of batteries just to get thru your daily commute. Besides that I think you can benefit from the Enginer Kit. Keep in mind that it is a little tricky at first but after a good month of charging and discharging you should be good but really hard to say.

Just get thru all the threads about the Kit and it should give you a good idea on how the system is.

1 person likes this.
  9. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dan,
    I'm just wondering whether you think Enginer kits, in their current configuration (no modifications), will ALWAYS need to watched during end portion of the charge?

Or will there become a time where people like 240sxr can simply plug in the kit at 5pm, and come back at 7am, assured that the batteries never went to high?

10. dan2l

dan2l 2014 Prius v wagon

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Eric,
    I do not know about "come out a 7am" but I am confident that I can make this work with a reasonable charge process.

I am still learning. Today I plug it in and monitor voltage and current for about 2 minutes. Then I check on it every 30 minutes. I think I could even wait to check on it every hour and still acurately predict the time frame when I will have risk of an alarm within about 10 minutes. When I get the alarm I am within 10 minutes of the charger shutting down anyway. This means that even if I had missed the alarm I would not have had any damage.

For people that are not so technical and/or not so attentive to all the details, I would propose a timer shut-off today. I think they could then walk away and return in the morning with 90% of what they would have had if they had been babysitting the system.

Enginer is working on improved balancers and charging. I think that in 3 to 6 months this will all be much easier.

In the meantime I am pushing Jack to get adjustments that will make the curent charger more friendly.

Thanks,
    Dan