1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

engine battery replacement

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Lynn E Davis, Aug 14, 2021.

1. Lynn E Davis

Lynn E Davis New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2013 Prius and was inquiring about engine battery replacement. I found the battery that it takes and I called the dealer to see how much labor would be to install new engine battery and she told me $700.00 JUST LABOR!!! So, it'd cost almost a thousand dollars to install one engine battery? I had a 2008 before and I replaced that battery on it and seems like it cost around $200 battery included. Have they changed the location so much that it requires that many mechanic hours and expense to change a simple engine battery? Can I hire another mechanic that would do it cheaper or does it need to be left to the expensive Toyota mechanic lords??? thanks in advance!! Lynn

bisco likes this.
  2. burrito

burrito Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The $200 battery was probably the 12 volt battery, like what all cars have. The other, high voltage one is the traction battery. That one is in the thousands.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    call back, and say '12 volt battery'

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For starters, there's no such thing as an engine battery... You car has two batteries: a 12v and a high voltage battery, aka: traction battery, aka: hybrid battery.

Assuming you're talking about the high voltage battery it takes me 2 hours to install one at $44 per hour so your total labor cost from me would be $88. But Toyota Stealership will charge as much as 6 hours for this job, which is ridiculous and if their service rate is over a $100 an hour, that's where that $700 price tag is. Don't do business with those crooks and tell your friends not to do business with them either.

You could do this job yourself just by watching lots of YouTube videos. Or you could find a friend or family member to do it. Or call around and find an auto mechanic who lives nearby.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’d guess OP is talking about 12 volt battery, and dealership is taking her for a ride. Battery prices have been climbing a lot, due to COVID, but $700 is too much. Also suspect $700 PLUS battery cost is miscommunication: even dealerships have their limits lol: the labours 1/2 hour tops.

phone different dealerships, check Pep Boys etc online, there’s got to be better deals.

Montgomery likes this.