1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Block Heater (EBH) Group Buy: as low as $39 shipped till 8/19

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by Danny, Jul 25, 2007.

1. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am interested in the buy, I live in Akron, Ohio. My main question is how much of a gain in MPG would I "realistically" see. For the most part all summer long I have been averaging in the upper 50's lower 60's.

My thinking is that if it gained me 5 MPG as I saw another user suggest in another thread that it would save approximately 1 gallon of fuel per tank. (5 extra miles x 10 gallons = 50 or 1 gallon of gasoline)
    If the average price of gas @ $3.00 gallon, It would pay for itself after approximately 13 fillups.

So basically is 5 MPG going to be a realistic gain?

2. AXavier

AXavier New Member

Since we have so many takers for the EBH what about a group buy for a timer as well?

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

4. GreenGene

GreenGene New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well, I just ordered via the handy-dandy webpage Danny put up.

I live in Virginia now, but we'll be relocating to New England next summer. I suspect I'll use it this winter, and use it a LOT next winter! :)

5. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I decided to take the plunge despite the fact that I have no idea how I'm going to get it installed...

Edit... this EBH is compatable with the 2007 model right? I'm a bit worred now that I've seen the "block heater smokin" thread...

6. kettledrum

kettledrum Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob64 @ Aug 1 2007, 09:44 PM) [snapback]488998[/snapback]</div>
    Add a reply to FireEngineer's thread about EBH installs east of the Mississippi, and I'm sure you'll get included. There is a link to the thread on the previous page of this thread.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob64 @ Aug 1 2007, 09:44 PM) [snapback]488998[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, this is compatible with the 2007 model. The problem with the "smokin" one appears that it was put into the wrong hole in the engine block??

7. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I was just charged $49 (August 1). Any idea why that is? I'd love to save the other 10 bucks like everyone else.

8. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I believe Danny will be issuing refunds to anyone who jumped in early and paid $49 (like me)... right Danny? :)

9. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 1 2007, 09:45 AM) [snapback]488582[/snapback]</div>
    I live in Ohio, always park outside, and only would be able to plug it in at home (overnight)
    My commute is about 20 miles to and from work.
    Winters are cold usually it hovers in the 20's and takes the occasional week long dip to 0, the summers seem to mostly hover in the 80's. What the heck I'll get on the order too, what's the worse that can happen I end up driving off in the winter with a car that provides heat sooner.

10. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ Aug 2 2007, 09:40 AM) [snapback]489325[/snapback]</div>
    make sure that you read the threads on grill blocking and us it as well. A 10 mile one way commute is just where the returns really start to show the worth of the combined use of the BH and the grill blocking will just accentuate the results. By having the ICE to full operating temp at shut down when you arrive at work the heat stored in the thermos is at a higher temp and will provide more ICE heating on start up for the trip home.

11. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Jul 31 2007, 10:51 AM) [snapback]488169[/snapback]</div>
    And what was wrong with my light socket suggestion? Even most apartments have a porch light where you are paying for electricity.

If you have any exterior light fixtures, you can buy a current tap Leviton 4016 with two outlets and accepts the bulb too. The fixtures switch would need to be left on when using the EBH, but you could turn off the bulb with pull chain if desired.

I assume the EBH uses a three prong grounded plug, but hope someone will speak up if they know it is double insulated with a two prong plug.

Get a two to three prong adaptor, but be sure to actually ground the grean ear or pigtail wire to a real ground. If the light fixture is metal and was properly installed, you can just connect the ground wire to one of the metal mounting screws that holds the light fixture to the outlet box. But if it is a ceramic one like my picture, or you have any doubt it is properly grounded, you should make sure you find a reliable ground like a metal water pipe or if you need to, shut off the electricity and remove the light fixture to access the ground wire inside the box, which is the bare copper wire without any insulation in most cases.

If not familiar with basic house wiring, you may want to get help from a friend who is familiar with local wiring practices.

If you do not connect the ear or pigtail on the adaptor to a real ground such as metal water pipe in the ground or bare copper wire inside the outlet box, it can be a shock hazard in the event of a ground fault.

If you want to do this, and don't understand this picture, PM me for more details.

[attachmentid=10341]

Attached Files:

12. Frank Hudon

13. bear15

bear15 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Where do we find a good timer? Any suggestions.

Cheers, Ed

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Aug 3 2007, 04:39 PM) [snapback]490169[/snapback]</div>

14. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bear15 @ Aug 3 2007, 10:55 PM) [snapback]490322[/snapback]</div>
    This is a good question. I found one here for $20.
    http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/itemdesc.asp?ic=TIBDD

Dual Outlet Digital Timer
    Grounded
    15 amps 1200W max load
    It is recommended not to exceed 12A

I dont know what kind of watts or amps the EBH draws but does anyone know if this will work?

I also recommend getting a Kill-A-Watt device to keep track of how much energy the EBH uses.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-KILL-A-WATT-Electr...2QQcmdZViewItem

15. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheForce @ Aug 3 2007, 09:41 PM) [snapback]490386[/snapback]</div>
    That timer rated 12 Amps will be more than sufficient. The EBH is a 300 W heater, so it draws about 3 amps when you first plug it in, and then gradually tapers off to 2.5 amps after the EBH itself reaches operating temperature.

It takes about two hours to warm up the ICE to about 40 C which is right around 105 F, and that is about as warm as the ICE will ever get with the EBH, so 2 hours or just a little over for good measure is a good time to set your timer for.

You can get a very close approximation of the electric power use without the KILL-A-WATT device.

If you set your timer for 2 hours, multiply 300 Watts by 2 Hours = 600 Watt Hours / 1000 = 0.6 KWH.

My electricity is 7.36 cents per KWH, so mulitply 0.6 KWH times 7.36 cents = 4.42 cents per day.

I think I can afford that.

It is fine to buy the KILL-A-WATT Device if you want to move it around from one load to another to get an idea of how much different items use, but in my case, the $20 would buy about 452 days worth of EBH power, so I think the 4.42 cents per day is going to be a close enough approximation for me.

I think I will buy a Intermec mechanical timer and permanently wire it into the wall and then to one of the tow outlets on a duplex receptacle outside, so the Timer itself will be inside the garrage and out of the weather. I have had some real bad luck with electronic timers and dimmer switches.

Here is a link to information on installing EBH and other Heat Tricks to use Exaust Manifold Heat to preheat engine intake air. I think I will give this a try: HeatGames

16. Frank Hudon

for what it's worth, I've used a block heater since April of 2004 and it's been monitored with a WattsUp Pro and the average watts is 394. This is run thru a Intermatic digital timer and an extension cord that I cut the end off and drilled a hole thru the basement wall and into the carport then installed a heavy duty receptical on the end of it. Time was set to give me 3 hours on the mornings that I was working but now retired so I just hit the On button a couple of hours before I plan on going out, or if I know I'm going out in the early morning I just put it back on the Auto setting and let it do it's thing.

17. bear15

bear15 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Interesting . . . we pay approx. 10 cents per KWH which would be approx. 6 cents per day or approx. $1.80 per month (suburban Chicago). This sounds like the way to go.

Also, I just found a small Sears timer that we had in a drawer not being used that is rated at 15 amp. and paid under $10.00 for it. Sounds like this timer should work????

Cheers, Ed

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Aug 4 2007, 03:34 AM) [snapback]490434[/snapback]</div>

18. 1fixitman

1fixitman Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Frank Hudon @ Aug 2 2007, 01:52 PM) [snapback]489391[/snapback]</div>
    Frank is always so helpful about telling you what you need to do. I will actually help you out and provide the link to one of the threads on the various methods to blocking your grill. Mostly used during the winter time....it can be done during the summer if you have a scanguage II to monitor your coolant temp. Some of these posts actually have pictures for your viewing pleasure. Here is the link:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=2...;hl=upper+grill

19. kettledrum

kettledrum Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Jul 31 2007, 12:06 AM) [snapback]487824[/snapback]</div>
    Any updates on anything yet, Danny?

20. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Danny is too busy to confirm whether he can accept an order from Canada - it sure would be nice if it works out. Once I hear the word, I'll be in too...