1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Block Heater Install - Did I do it right?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Green Hokie, Jul 5, 2007.

1. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tdmalek @ Jul 10 2007, 12:31 AM) [snapback]475979[/snapback]</div>
    You won't have big arms after you do the install. One trademark of the installs I do is to leave some DNA samples behind in each car. I just did 2 installs a day apart and my arm looks like the cat used it as a scratching post.

Seeing your location, if you can wait a little I can do the install for you when I take the kids to Utica to see the grandparents.

Wayne

2. Heikki

Heikki Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Hokie @ Jul 6 2007, 02:03 AM) [snapback]473722[/snapback]</div>
    I don´t use block heater in summer. In winter temperatures (-10 Celcius) 14 Fahrenheit consumption screen shows less than (>10l/100km) 23 mpg at first five minute segment. Second segment is approximately (7,5 l/100km) 31 MPG.

3. Green Hokie

Green Hokie Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tdmalek @ Jul 10 2007, 01:31 AM) [snapback]475979[/snapback]</div>
    tdmalek, if you don't mind getting a little grease on your fingers (& possibly a few scratches, as Wayne mentioned), I'd say it's a fairly easy install from below the engine. My arms aren't terribly big. Therefore, it was quite easy for me to find the opening for the EBH on the engine block (by feel) and insert the heating tube. No cuts or scratches. :D

If you want to attempt the install yourself and can wait a little longer, I plan on taking a bunch of photos and putting together a EBH installation procedure this weekend... as my way of giving back to this forum & its members, who have been extremely helpful to me. I'll probably post a new EBH installation thread after this weekend, if you are interested.

4. tdmalek

tdmalek Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Jul 10 2007, 10:14 AM) [snapback]476083[/snapback]</div>
    Utica! Did you or the missus grow up around here? I graduated from UHS in '81.

What dates would you be in this area? I dont have the heater yet. I kind of wanted to give this a go myself but Ill decide after looking at GH's information and seeing if I can get my hand near that hole w/o getting my arm stuck. :p

5. tdmalek

tdmalek Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Hokie @ Jul 10 2007, 01:08 PM) [snapback]476204[/snapback]</div>
    Absolutely, I would greatly appreciate any more info you could post. My main concern is getting my hand comfortably near the slot, I can work by feel instead of sight pretty well. I am especially interested in details of how you routed the wire to the grill. Thanks GH.

6. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tdmalek @ Jul 11 2007, 12:59 AM) [snapback]476667[/snapback]</div>
    My wife grew up in Detroit and her family moved to the Utica area some time in the mid-70's.

When will we be out that way? Don't have any firm date, sometime before school starts. But if you get your EBH and need help.....could be sooner.

Wayne

7. kettledrum

kettledrum Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wayne,

I get up to NW Indiana on a regular basis and if you'd be willing I'd love to get an EBH installed sometime this summer. It'd be great to catch you on your way through to MI or back.

8. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kettledrum @ Jul 11 2007, 11:40 AM) [snapback]476880[/snapback]</div>
    If your up in NW Indiana your all of 25 minutes from my house and street garage, if you dare brave the I-80/94/294 mess. When you get your block heater just let me know and we'll arrange something.

Wayne

9. tdmalek

tdmalek Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Jul 11 2007, 10:39 AM) [snapback]476788[/snapback]</div>
    OK, thanks Wayne. I will contact you after I get a good look at the situation.

10. kettledrum

kettledrum Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Jul 11 2007, 01:36 PM) [snapback]476940[/snapback]</div>
    Will do.

I think my next currently scheduled trip to "Da Region" is the weekend of 8/11-8/12 for my nephew's baptism.

Thanks so much.

11. ctmurray

ctmurray Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tdmalek @ Jul 9 2007, 11:31 PM) [snapback]475979[/snapback]</div>
    What would a dealer charge for part + install? My time and knuckle skin has some value and I wonder if it is worthwhile to "outsource" this operation.

12. tdmalek

tdmalek Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cam @ Jul 14 2007, 02:51 PM) [snapback]478704[/snapback]</div>
    I havent priced a dealer since I will either do it myself or have Wayne sacrifice his skin. If you do call a dealer for an estimate and the price for the heater is much more than $50, buy it from www.metrotpn.com and then have the dealer install it. This is where I will buy mine.

13. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cam @ Jul 14 2007, 01:51 PM) [snapback]478704[/snapback]</div>
    In the Chicago/Milwaukee area the block heater is selling for anywhere from $49-$60 and installation is quoted at about 1-2 hours labor based on T&M since the install is unfamiliar to the dealers. So around here we see $200-$250. Your skin will grow back.

Wayne

14. PHanna

PHanna Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Hokie @ Jul 10 2007, 01:08 PM) [snapback]476204[/snapback]</div>
    I bought a heater recently. I have not installed it, but am ready. What is and where did you buy the material you wrapped the cord with? What keeps the plug end of the cord, in the grille, from rattling around?
    Thanks for the photos.

15. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The material to wrap the cord is 1/2" diameter wire loom, available from any auto parts store or home center store. I the grill if you push the plug in a little between the slats it will stay by friction fit quite well.

Wayne

16. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How Long Should it take to install the EBH

Went to my Toyota Dealer with the EBH in hand. Asked to have it installed.
    First they recommended that I not install one. :mad:
    Than they said they have never installed one. :eek:
    Than they said leave the car overnight and they will install it.:cool:
    Should I be worried?? :confused:
    They charge 90.00 per hour labor. :eek:
    Thanks for any help!! :)

17. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Re: How Long Should it take to install the EBH

Humm... Not sounding like a good dealer.
    OK, time to find another dealer as these guys don't seem willing to do the SIMPLE installation that is covered here on many threads.
    You shouldn't be worried since you should go to another dealer.

See if you can find someone from here that lives near you that would be willing to help you. If you lived closer to the west coast, I'd offer to help.