1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

engine block heater install...you can do it

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by has been, Dec 1, 2012.

1. has been

has been vote for anyone except Trump

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    THIS JUST IN:
    Last weekend installed the EBH in our 2012.
    Within 6 blocks she has reported that the cabin heat is fabulous.
    Also reported is that the initial temps of air from cabin fan are not too bad.
    We have had some sub-30 degree mornings so far, nothing drastic yet.
    It is installed via a timer with indicator light and cut/out switch.
    At this point the timer is on for about 2 hours.
    Now the cabin is warm within the first 10% of the commute.

After work is a bit of a headache though.
    The car is parked about a nine-iron away from the building.
    That's a long cord to the EBH.
    Other cars keep getting tangled-up in it throughout the day.
    It's been stolen 4 times.
    At this point I'm out $635 for extension cords.
    Seems like a lotta dough for a $58 part.

So at the end of the day:
    Install not so bad, didn't have to get under the car, 2.5 hours, ok.
    Works pretty well for cabin heat within 6 blocks.
    Gotta do some research for same conditions on return trip.

2. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is this the standard OEM EBH or something else? Winter is here in Toronto too and the slow heating is annoying!
    Not sure I can work 2.5 hours outside in this weather to install it but want to understand the concept!
    For the price of those extension cords maybe you need to buy a small Honda generator. Sort of defeats the low emissions purpose though.
    I am not that familiar with the US packages. Does the 3 come with heated seats? Seems to me heated seats and wheel would really help here even if cloth seats. There are kits but I am not a car upholstery expert.

3. has been

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not sure if it is the standard EBH or not.
    It's the one they sell in Prius Chat Store and am trying to support the site.
    It fits into a cylindrical pocket in the engine block.
    Right now there's is nothing in this pocket, just a hole in the block
    It is not the typical old school style that would heat the water jacket.
    Another option (and a good one I think) would be an oil pan heater.
    Simply an adhesive to the underside of the oil pan.
    The heat will rise into the engine block at the same time.
    Huge with diesel truck owners.
    I'd think in your neck of the woods you'd know someone who is using some type of pre-heat system.
    I'd rather have warm oil when I start than warm water but that's in reference to a water jacket type.
    Using the same timer and such you could easily fire up an oil pan heater that would be a much easier install.
    I believe Wolverine is one of the top producers of the oil pan style.
    Try wolverineheater.com
    I think lesser wattage in general but a different heating dynamic.
    Lesser wattage of course more economical.
    I also think it's not designated by vehicle but by capacity of fluid trying to heat.
    Different shapes and such as well.
    Although I pitty da' fool who uses the Mr. T shaped pan heater.
    If you try to install an EBH and it's cold and uncomfortable, you may create other issues.
    Find a comfortable place to do it or have a shop do it for you or try the oil pan type.
    If I had heated seats I would have played golf that day instead of installing an EBH.
    Heated seats are vailable on the next model up I think.

(upon further review: I think it is the OEM style)

Good tip on the generator but already tried that.
    Had a nice wheeled/portable unit.
    After the first day went out to the car after work and genny was up on blocks, tires and wheels stolen.
    Whaddya gonna do?

Let us know how you do and good luck.

F8L and Steve Robinson like this.
  4. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    How much did you have to remove to be able to install it without
    getting underneath? I presume the removal/reinstallation of parts to get at
    the mounting hole is what took most of the installation time?

MarvHein likes this.
  5. has been

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I did not put car on ramps or otherwise but maybe should have due to the fact that if I would have dropped a fastener or ? it would have probly fallen down to the cover pan deal and THEN I would have had to retrieve it.
    I did not drop anything but then I am a mechanic by trade and occasionally lucky.
    Another point is to mark where the wipers are before you start.
    A piece of blue tape on the windshield and a mark so as to replace them in the same state you removed them in.
    I will be standing at the front bumper and relating everything as to left and right from there (left=pass side..etc.)
    Considering the brown acid at woodstock, I'll try to remember how it went.....let's begin, shall we?

Remove the plastic cap covering the nut that attaches the right (single) wiper to the stud.
    Remove said nut.
    A little pry if possible to help wiper off stud.
    Remember the spring-action what keeps wiper on glass and try to neutralize.
    If needed, screw nut back onto stud about 2 threads and hit with hammer lightly.
    We're looking for a "shock" to help pop off stud.
    DO NOT hit stud without the nut being on there or you may never get nut back on hammered threads.
    The double-action wiper will come off pretty easily.
    Remove plastic cowl.
    The ends of the plastic cowl have a removable piece to help guide it away from hood attachments.
    The plastic cowl squeezes off the windshield at wiping seal that follows contour of glass.
    You have opened the hood right? Good. Let's continue
    The wire harness @ wiper mechanism does not have to be unplugged.
    Remove bolts holding wiper mechanism to metal plate.
    Swing mechanism to your left and let it sit there on a blanket or towel or Ralph Lauren Quilt.
    Basically swing it out of your way.
    The isolation rubbers will stay with wiper mechanism except for the rear slide out one....I think.
    A few will go thru mounted rubbers, the rear unit will slide out right to left.
    Remove metal plate assembly.
    This is a good time to clean the metal plate, clean and treat the plastic cowling.
    If you throw your hips against the driver side fron quarter panel (right above front left tire) and lean forward with a flashlight you can see the EBH hole in engine block. Remember the size of the part and imagine the size of hole it will take. Also remember that is quite a snug fit. Not a lot of slop as it were.
    Juiced Hybrid has a relatively good picture schedule of this install.
    Print it out and keep it with you.
    Right in front of the EBH hole is a bunch of wire looms and such and a fastener that needs to be removed.
    As I recall you'll need an 10mm socket on an extension.
    A decent extension. I used 3/8" drive deep socket with about 12" of extension.
    Remove the fastener to be able to manipulate the wires fastened to gain access to the hole.
    The hole access will not be easy, gonna have to work at it a bit.
    Not hard just get a feel for it.
    Make couple dry runs before you commit to an install with a greased-up part.
    At this point you will want to be on the left quarter panel leaning in....the pass side.
    It will be easier to install plug from left side than right for most people I'd think.
    While installing you will be pushing wires out of the way, bear this in mind.
    It's a bitt of a mofo, don't give up.
    While leaning over left quarter panel (above front right tire) reach around a bit a get a feel for where this hole is.
    The hole is actually on the driver side on the engine block angled down about 30 degrees.
    Think of the angle and the related wires in the way.
    Good time to add some of the thermo grease to the hole.
    If you put all the grease on the EBH and then try to insert you'll find that you have removed all the grease while weaseling it around the wires trying to find the hole again.
    I took about half the thermo grease on the end of my finger and slid it into the EBH hole before I tried to install it.
    Maybe 2-3 passes until the half was clinging to the edge of afore-mentioned hole.
    Rest of grease to EBH unit.
    With left hand (wires in way kind of tied off or held back with other hand) I popped the EBH into it's location.
    It doesn't just drop in. Get it started, wiggle it, rotate a bit, then you'll feel it's on it's way.
    You are working with the unit that goes into the block and NOT the wires as well that are connected to it.
    Once I knew it was just a matter of sending it home another inch or so I attached the cord/plug.
    I added a small amount of Blue RTV sealant/adhesive to the plug.
    I wanted to seal the plug to the EBH unit without having either the RTV or thermoseal goo from impacting the electrial connection. A valid concern.
    At this point the EBH and plug connected to it are about 2/3 of the way in.
    I used a 1/2 "wooden dowel to send it all the way home.
    Carefully I tapped the dowel onto the end of the connector in the direction the EBH wanted to go.
    It slid into place nicely and then it snapped into a fixed position.
    Now I have an EBH in place and a connector securely fastened to it.
    Reverse the removal process until you have no parts left.

Be careful.
    Be patient.
    Have enough time for this project don't short-sheet yourself.

Have fun. relax.
    You can do this.

6. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great description! Now to find one. Prius Chat Shop won't ship to Canada. Juicy Hybrid (or USPS) wants $40 to ship a $60 part! I bet the dealer price in Canada is $99.99 :D

7. has been

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    An alternative as previously mentioned may be an oil pan heater.
    There is also a magnetic type that just ....uh....sticks to the oil pan.
    Not sure if the power running the heat device/concept is also creating the magnet or what.
    Do a little research. I bet you find something that will work for you.
    Maybe NOT having to go thru all the hoops, whistles, BS, and dog and pony show of a giant out-of-touch and disconnected corporation is just the answer.

MarvHein likes this.
  8. has been

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    pee ess -
    At the first light (6 city blocks drive) if stopped at light, engine stops.
    That tells me that the engine temp has been satisfied enough for the engine to only start under demand.
    Fascinating.

9. MarvHein

MarvHein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've done a fair amount of work on cars (I owned a DeLorean, which supplies an never ending list of stuff you have to work on). All the more reason to appreciate the great directions on the block heater installation and to heed the suggestion to check out oil pan heaters!

Trying to figure out whether there will be any noticeable difference using one of these in Las Vegas. It's December and temps this week are in the 50's with lows in the low 40's/high 30's. Went out at lunch today and the ICE shut off at my first light, about 30-45 seconds after start. Might have stopped sooner if the I'd arrived at the light sooner.

Generally averaging about 56 mpg per tank, but short trips on weekends seem to drag it down to that. I'd like to see over 60 consistently. (This is my second Prius... never seemed to get over 53 with the old one until I started turning off the cabin heat/AC unless I really needed it. Hit a couple of tanks at 58 with the old one before trading for my 2012.) My short trips are in the 40's, even though the ICE is shutting down almost right away.

The whole warm-up stage thing isn't clear to me yet. If the ICE is shutting down, is the warm up logic fully satisfied or is there additional inefficient fuel use going on that I could reduce with a block or oil pan heater?

Thanks for the read...

10. has been

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not sure of Vegas temps in winter.
    I put this on for her not to get better mileage but to make her more comfortable when she goes to the garage to get in the car and its been 10-20 degrees out for many days.

My general thought is that the Prius says it can do various things.
    To do those various things it needs to be at a certain temp.
    Everything's fine until then but at that optimum temp is where it can do the things you bought it to do.

Thusly even though the car will be at it's optimum temp (much) earlier in the ride to work in the morning, that's just a bonus. We live with the lesser mpg's under certain circumstances.
    It's not a Swiss watch and it's not goin to the moon.
    Sometimes we only get 45 mpg on a short run, cold temps, uphill both ways.
    Right....45 mpg...bummer.

Neither one of these types of heaters are really cost preventative.
    Choose the easiest one and give it a try.
    Sounds like you're doing fine.

11. MarvHein

MarvHein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. I think the oil pan heater is just the ticket. Of course, I'll have to find the oil pan. I'm assuming the heater will have to go on the bottom and some of the car's underwear will have to be temporarily removed. That's if the oil pan is metal. The wolverine website mentions some are not...

Googled a replacement pan to see if it is ribbed or not. They have one model heater for flat and one for ribbed. Doesn't appear to be ribbed and looked pretty metallic to me.

12. has been

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    any dealer may have one in stock
    drop by and have them hand you one
    detect material, store results

13. MarvHein

MarvHein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I put the Wolverine Model 9 on my Christmas list and installed it today.

You were right, it was simple to install. Floor jack and jack stands only took a few minutes. I watched a video online on how to change your oil to see where to pull the little pins to drop the flap covering the oil pan. Presto, there it was!

I stuck the heater on the bare aluminum at the end of the pan instead of sanding paint off the cover as Wolverine suggests. (They want it on bare metal.) This location saved time and I just couldn't bring myself scrape the paint off a new car. Plus, the cover is small and I didn't want the heater in the way of oil changes. It's barely noticeable stuck on the end. Hopefully the heat will transfer as well from this location.

The heater includes double-stick adhesive. Clean the surface, remove the protective tape, plug in the heater for 3-5 seconds to soften the glue and press into place. Repeat the heat and press thing a couple of times and you're done except to route the wire.

There is plenty of wire to reach the right front bumper. I loosened one other panel and dropped the plug out of a large hole in the right front, just in front of the tire. It can be tucked up inside when not in use. Replaced all the little press-in fasteners and lowered the car.

More on if the heater helps later... it's been in the 40's here and I'm down about 4 MPG this last tankful.

F8L likes this.
  14. has been

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well done Marv.
    Let us know how it goes.

15. ProZach

ProZach Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You have sparked my interest! How has this oil heater worker out for you?

16. MarvHein

MarvHein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Plugging and unplugging was more of an annoyance than I thought it would be, so I have only used the heater sporadically. The times I did, it didn't seem to make much difference, but I need to run a dedicated test.

Since the theory is that the heated oil will warm the engine and transfer that heat to the coolant more quickly, I'll see how it quickly it heats up using the heater and not. I don't have a ScanGauge, but I recently installed an MCT spoofer. I will run a few tests to see how long it takes it to start spoofing with the heater and without.

Back to you in a few days!

17. ProZach

ProZach Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks!

18. ProZach

ProZach Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm surprised to hear you would go for a spoof but not any type of additional gauges.

19. MarvHein

MarvHein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I probably will, just haven't yet. The spoofer has enough of a track record I'm not worried about damage to the car.

20. has been

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three