1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

engine block heater install...you can do it

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by has been, Dec 1, 2012.

1. MarvHein

MarvHein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm not so good with acronyms I guess. It's an ECT spoofer. :)

Here's one of several threads.
    A Prius ECT Spoofer MCU Controlled | PriusChat

If cabin heat is your goal, the spoofer may not be the way to go as it fools the car into thinking it's warmer than it is and come cool air can start blowing, especially if your cabin heat is set to AUTO.

2. MarvHein

MarvHein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, I did pick up a ScanGuage, which I like. I thought it might show me oil temperature, helpful for this thread. But that doesn't seem to be something the car provides on the bus. Kind of surprising to me, but it is what it is.

If I'm wrong, somebody let me know!

I have been running the oil pan heater pretty religiously and have not seen any reduction in warmup time of the coolant. Water temp was at ambient temp this morning and I did not see any quick jump when I fired up the car and let the oil circulate for a minute.

I'll have to get a digital thermometer probe on the oil pan and see just how warm it's getting. Will be away for a few days but will do that as soon as I can.

For now, I wouldn't run out and buy the oil pan heater unless you live someplace really cold and just want to make sure your oil is warm.

3. ProZach

ProZach Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for following up.