1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Block Heaters

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by markabele, Jul 11, 2012.

1. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    How is the DEFA EBH attached to the engine? Pictures? Thanks!

2. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Any idea, even if it's just a guess, of how much you've increased your fuel economy using an EBH?

3. Braddles.au

Braddles.au DEFAnitely using an EBH

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]
    The DEFA EBH is clamped to the rear of the block. To visualise, [after removing the undertrays] slide under the car until your head is just behind the front wheels. Look up and you'll see the rear of the block. EBH clamps in a recess between the cylinders. So I really didn't have to dismantle anything to install the EBH, unlike the Canadian EBH!
    Routing the cable was trickier. In Europe, they must be fitted by an authorised dealer, which are everywhere. In Australia I had to figure it out and found a method that allows lower grill blocking.
    DEFA SafeStart Engine Block Heater | PriusChat
    Full stories and pix on my blog. DEFA | Bradley's Raw Data Feed

2009Prius likes this.
  4. Braddles.au

Braddles.au DEFAnitely using an EBH

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It would be a guess only. I don't have a regular commute (I catch the bus to work), I've been modifying the car and myself and the weather is getting warmer. So it's hard to calculate the baseline.
    However, most journeys from my house are down one road if I'm driving to the City or another if I'm driving to Sydney.
    • One regular, morning journey I take was in the range 4.0-5.0LHK (45-55 mpg US); now in the range 3.0-4.0LHK (55-75 mpg US).
    • Tank averages have improved steadily (but note improving weather and the lack of a steady baseline).
    • The HSI shows low 4's LHK after only 2km of driving. Without EBH the HSI would read 8 LHK after 2km and might take 5km to get into the 4's.
    • With EBH I reach stage 2 immediately (well, after the coolant circulates) and stages 3 and 4 come quickly. Without, stage 2 may take 2km.
    I've got some observations on my blog. My gut feeling is that the EBH and the electricity to feed it is well worth it and there's some evidence to back that up. Some.

5. has been

has been vote for anyone except Trump

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After receiving my engine block heater today saw there were no instructions in box.
    Remembered there was an associated file on the prius shop site with the EBH location.
    The link goes nowhere.
    Not worried about the install just looking for a drawing or some general info on install.
    Anyone have that info from the shop site as a file to d'load or email?

mucho appreciado

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  7. has been

has been vote for anyone except Trump

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    M Leisk - thank you
    I'll look it over.
    But I would think that the guy doing the install would have put on a nicer shirt if he knew a photographer was on site.

8. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i put it in myself. its a bit awkward.....but possible without remove everything like that link points to.....
    the hard part is puting into block itself....couple connections just in the way slightly

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, he mentions the cowl/wiper removal was partly for photo op. The pics are from the second install, and the first was done just from the underside, cowl left in place.

It is an eye opener though, taking off cowls. Our previous Honda Civic Hybrid was similar: cowl removal was more-or-less mandatory to even get at the back row of spark plugs (2 per cylinder). And definitely needed if you wanted to get to the valves for adjustment.