1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine clatter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by defrankond, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Defrankond said "its -5 here right now but with windchill its -20. low tonight is supposed to be -36. i was afraid to block the grill because people say it could seriously overheat the engine. so ive always been to scared to do that. i cant afford major repairs until my car is paid off since i live on a disability income. but i tell ya. the gas mileage in winter months really sucks but still better than my previous car."

You won't over heat in - 5 degrees very easily. I wouldn't worry about engine damage. The danger is forgetting to pull out the radiator block months later when it gets warm again. People in Europe run radiator block offs more than in the us. It really helps get your cabin heat working better. Running a small space heater in the car in the morning helps too. I just plug in a space heater 20 minutes before I leave on very cold mornings.

PriusGuy32 likes this.