1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine clicking & P0505 IAC & acceleration issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by melisss, Dec 18, 2019.

1. melisss

melisss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 Prius, am in southern california, and my car has 206k miles on it. First, I was getting the p0505 code -- I cleaned the throttle body to start, but was still having issues, we also noticed that there was also gas and oil mixing in my engine, and a clicking sound (not banging or knocking).

Clicking: it clicks when the battery is running and accelerating, louder when it is cold/idling, lower when I am driving for a long period of time.

IAC: I changed out the throttle body and sensor (swapped full part), the clicking is still there, the acceleration issues are still present, though not as bad.

Acceleration: Before swapping the throttle body the car was sluggish, my gas mileage was around 27 mpg, when usually its around 34 mpg.

Battery: not charging more than 3-4 blue lines, most often it is in the 2 purple. It will not get in to the green.

From suggestions from a mechanic friend: I will be filling up with premium gas and putting fuel injector cleaner in it, after that, I will change out the spark plugs if needed, and I need to test the 12 v battery (about 2-3 years old).

Has anyone had this issue? Suggestions, other things to check would be super helpful.

**I have had the hybrid battery replaced, the catalytic converter fixed with in the past year**

#1 melisss, Dec 18, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you have a mechanic friend that can do the work, have him change out the fuel injectors and spark plugs (use Denso or NGK branded plugs). I believe those cheap fixes will fix your problem of the sluggishness. The clicking sound will probably remain for the rest of the car's useful life.

When you cleaned out the throttle body, did you use throttle body cleaner? Did you clean the MAF sensor at the same time? Using MAF sensor cleaner?

If you replaced the catalytic converter and your problems started, then that's an area that you should look into first. A wrong oxygen sensor installed (not original or Denso branded) will cause lots of power issues.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. melisss

melisss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update:

12v battery is in perfect working condition.

I started and drove about 1/4 miles, and the car stopped. Pressing the gas did nothing, the car only went in to park and neutral. I turned it off for about 5 minutes and it started normally. I was able to drive it back to the house and park it.

all dashboard lights went on immediately when it first stopped.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This actually can be your hv battery failing again. They often fail like this if it's a rebuilt battery you put in the car.