1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine codes P0302 and P148F. Help?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by N1ghtfire, Feb 4, 2021.

1. N1ghtfire

N1ghtfire Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just pulled engine codes from my car suddenly. I just drove it yesterday with no problems, wasn't acting up at all. This morning the check engine light was on.

The code P0302 showed up twice and P148F once.
    I googled that they mean something about spark plugs and my coolant pump?

Can you guys help me figure out exactly what and how I should check, and what parts I may need to buy?

I am living in my car and it is my only source of any income.

Attached Files:

2. N1ghtfire

N1ghtfire Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I went ahead and bought a new water pump and thermostat for my car, hopefully that will fix the P148f code. Not sure at all where to start troubleshooting the other code. I think I'll replace the pump and thermostat, reset the codes, then see if the other code comes back

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    what are you reading the codes with?

how many miles on her?

what is the maintenance history?

SFO likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    P148F is a code that was added for model years 2011 and later indicating the water pump motor is spinning too fast. 2010 didn't have it (who would think the pump running too fast would be a problem?), but it turned out there is a particular way the water pump can break

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

where the impeller breaks apart and isn't really pumping water, so the motor isn't doing real work, so it spins too fast, and a trouble code for spinning too fast is really the only way you would find out there's a problem.

5. N1ghtfire

N1ghtfire Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Almost 160k miles. I'm using an OBD2 reader with the Dr. Prius app.
    I don't know the maintenance history, I bought this car 2 months ago. Before this I've just done an oil change and alignment.

I installed a new water pump and thermostat yesterday and new spark plugs today. I've not test driven it yet because of weather but so far the P148F code hasn't come back. I am still getting the P0302 code. When I rest the codes it instantly comes back when I click "read engine codes". I tried swapping cylinder 2 and cylinder 1 ignition coils and it did nothing, still misfire in cylinder 2.
    Thank you! I replaced the pump and thermostat, haven't test driven yet but I think that fixed the P148F code. Still getting the other code though.