1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Compartment Cowl Removal: Owners w/Mice or Stinky AC take note...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Patrick Wong, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Over the last couple of weeks I noticed that immediately after washing my 2004, I could hear water in the cowl area upon driving the car away. I decided to remove the cowl this afternoon to get rid of any accumulated debris and dirt. After removing the cowl cover I could see the two rectangular drain holes. The driver's side hole was plugged with dirt. I decided to remove the windshield wiper motor assembly and the metal cowl so that I could thoroughly clean the cowl.

If you have a problem with mice getting into the cabin air filter, then you will need to screen off the openings that become visible once the two-piece black plastic cowl cover is removed.

If you have a problem with weird smells coming from your ventilation system, a possible reason for such smells might be an accumulation of detritus that is producing the smell. (Other reasons could include a dirty cabin air filter, a plugged water drain pipe, and mold on the AC evaporator unit.)

It is good to learn how to remove the cowl if/when you decide to replace the PCV valve. After the cowl, the bolts holding the engine wiring harness to the valve cover, and the wire harness connectors to the spark igniters are removed, the PCV valve hiding under the wiring harness can be exposed and removed.

Hobbit has an excellent webpage that describes how to remove the cowl plus perform other activities, see:
    Prius heat-efficiency mods

The basic steps are as follows:
    • remove windshield wiper arms. Note that the windshield has a couple of dots that show where the wiper blade tips should be placed, upon reassembly
    • carefully remove rubber trim at leading edge of cowl, taking care not to damage the plastic pegs that hold the trim in place
    • remove two-piece black plastic cowl cover, note that each piece has one black plastic fastener at the end. Push down on the center pin, then pop up the fastener. Then remove the driver's side of the cowl cover first, followed by the passenger's side
    • remove windshield wiper motor assembly
    • remove relay box and sheet steel cowl pan, gently removing the plastic clamps that hold the wire harness to the cowl. Gently squeeze the clamp pegs with long-nose pliers to remove from the cowl.
    Tightening torques are as follows: 57 in.-lb for the bolts holding the metal cowl to the body. 49 in.-lb for the bolts holding the windshield wiper motor assembly to the metal cowl. 15 ft.-lb for the nuts securing the windshield wiper arms.

The attached photos show the following:
    • passenger side ventilation hole. Note that you can see an oblong hole behind the bulkhead that leads to the ventilation system. Ideally you would like to screen this oblong hole if you have a mouse problem, but that will not be easy since the hole is hiding behind the bulkhead. I inserted my hand into the access hole and could not feel the full extent of the oblong hole.
    • windshield wiper and cowl parts that were removed
    • driver's side drain hole
    • passenger's side drain hole, under the VIN stamped into the bulkhead
    • view of the windshield wiper motor assembly with the two-piece black plastic cowl cover removed

Attached Files:

SFO, amusing.texas, KK6PD and 2 others like this.
  2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Inch-pounds eh? HFT, your premier Asian tool importer, offers:

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Yes I admit I do shill for those guys. I wish they had a store here in Kunming. I got years of good service from their $20 big torque wrench. You can forget about the low-end sockets, extenders and size adapters though. All are made from Jello (TM).

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Nice photos, Patrick. This will help when I need to remove the cowl someday. Thanks.

4. Rick Suddes

Rick Suddes Junior Member

Spray some Rataway on engine from Rataway.com. It also works on squirrels, rats, rabbits, etc...

5. donaldgrim

donaldgrim New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have designed a screen insert for the Cabin Air Filter opening that can be installed in about 3 minutes and is a permanent fix to the problem. Do you think their is a market for it?

6. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What model year? And if it's '04 - '09, does it go over
    the *inner* hole, as blocking up any of the outer ones right
    at the back edge of the cowl is 100% useless as rodents can just
    come up under the quarter panels too?
    [The third-gen is much easier since the one intake hole is right
    there when you take the cowl off; see the block heater exploration
    page]
    _H*

7. Bootjacker

Bootjacker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    !!

8. Bootjacker

Bootjacker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, Patrick -- you just saved me $110 + tax!!!