1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Coolant Is Slowly Disapearing

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by chryguy, Nov 7, 2021.

1. chryguy

chryguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

My Daughters 2010 Prius has a new problem. Over the last 6 weeks or so, the Engine coolant is slowly going down, causing an overheat condition.
    She took it in and had it checked after the first time and they pressure tested the system and found no leaks or evidence of prior leaking (what?).

Since then it has overheated, and needed to have coolant replaced at least two more times, so we know it is leaking from somewhere.
    Also, it has developed an air bubble in the cooling system as the heat is now intermittent.

Does anyone have prior experience with "phantom" coolant leaks or know of any inconspicuous areas where it could be leaking and not be noticed?
    Fyi, the oil is fine, no water in the crankcase.

Thanks in advance
    CG

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How many miles on the car? One of the more common issues with these 2010 cars, is unfortunately a head gasket failure. Which starts with losing coolant

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How many miles are on the odometer?

Does the engine shake when started up after sitting for a while?

Any error codes such as cylinder misfires?

Many high mileage 2010 Prius cars develop a head gasket leak that allows engine coolant to enter the cylinder(s). It is burned off during normal operation, but the coolant can accumulate while it sits between startups, causing bad shaking until the fluid can be burned off.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. chryguy

chryguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replies,

I know it has well over 200K.
    I also know she recently had a compression test done for a different reason (missing and or stumbling), and they didn't see anything out of the ordinary.
    But that was 1000 plus miles ago, and the coolant dissipation was less than now. Entirely possible it could have been on its way to head gasket failure.

Unfortunately, the symptoms I described DO sound like a head gasket. Darn!

Jeezola, how much is that going to cost (in New Jersey) I wonder...

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Odds are extremely good its slowly leaking coolant into a cylinder and combustion gas is causing the air bubbles. Six months and overheating is a bad situation that likely will result in a need for a replacement engine.

When a head gasket on a Gen3 Prius fails it often causes severe rattling occasionally on cold starts that clears in a minute and then runs fine. Later it can be minor vibrations everytime the stop start engine starts while driving. Eventually white smoke can be seen at the tailpipe as the driver revs the engine while parked.

Pressure testing the cooling system won't show a head gasket leak on these engines. Normally a compression test is useless as well. The best test is a borescope inspection of the cylinders which is likely to find an abnormally steam cleaned piston or sometimes even coolant.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Just check no 2 cylinder very well . If you have a boroscope or a way to see in the hole look at the top of the piston real good for small cracks maybe a hole it's not really uncommon to find this I had a mechanic put it to ZZ back together with a fracture in the top of a piston complete waste of time

SM-A715F ?

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In 2017 Toyota issued a "Warranty Enhancement Program", about "rough idle and/or tapping noise from the HV transaxle at cold start" due to a sticking EGR valve due to excessive carbon build-up". That's quite a run-on sentence, and no mention of head gasket failure.

And, they toss in "while the majority of vehicles will not experience this condition", yeah right...

200K you're well overdue for Exhaust Gas Recirculation carbon cleanout (including the EGR passages in intake manifold). Sadlly, Toyota doesn't alert owners to thisl doesn't acknowledge the connection.

More info in my signature.

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It might be fair to say "rough idle and/or tapping noise from the HV transaxle at cold start" can be a Prius mystery with more causes than have been successfully pinned down.

I lived with it in my Gen 1 from 198,000 to 230,000 miles (then presumably the person I sold it to lived with it). Because that was four years of driving and 30+ thousand miles, it's unlikely to have been a head gasket issue. And Gen 1 had no EGR system.

Of course in that case there wasn't slowly-disappearing coolant either.

#9 ChapmanF, Nov 8, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. chryguy

chryguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Regarding the carbon build up, We did replace the intake manifold and had them clean the EGR valve assembly about 2 years ago.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Who's "them"? Did they clean the EGR passages in the intake manifold as well? Were they forthcoming with what they did exactly, or not so much?

Bottom line, dealerships in particular are very reluctant to do "cleaning", just like slamming fresh (and full retail priced) parts in. DIY is pretty much the only way to get it done thoroughly. And cheap as dirt. :)