1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine cut out while driving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TheJonester, Oct 14, 2019.

1. TheJonester

TheJonester New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everybody. I was driving my 2007 Prius today, around 50 MPH, when the accelerator pedal stopped responding. The dash beeped, and symbol of a red car with a red exclamation point appeared on my navigation screen. No matter how hard I pressed the pedal, it would not go; it was as if the car was in neutral. I coasted into a parking lot and turned the car off. I waited about ten minutes and turned the car on and tried to shift into drive or reverse, but nothing happened so I turned it off. I tried that again about 30 minutes later and was able to drive forward about 50 yards before the car refused to go again.

I had my oil changed roughly a month ago, and there is plenty of oil in the engine. I had about a half tank of gas, so it isn't a gas issue.

My combination meter (the dashboard lights, gas meter, odometer, etc) has been wonky for at least 10,000 miles, so sometimes it's on, sometimes it's not... that being said, as of yesterday, there were no unusual indicator lights on.

I'm getting it towed to the Toyota dealership in the morning, but I wanted to get some advice from you guys first. What's wrong with my baby? How can I fix it? If I can't fix it, how much money will it cost me to get it fixed?

#1 TheJonester, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    inverter pump maybe

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. nickm95

nickm95 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Get an OBD-II reader and find out what the code is. I've had the exact same problem twice (P2103) and there's something wrong around the throttle body. My mechanic hasn't been able to figure out what's causing it but he's certain it's not the throttle body itself. Yours might just need a good cleaning.

4. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably not. I have had two of them fail recently. When this happens the red triangle does come on but the car still drove normally. The OP needs to read the trouble codes, that is the only sane way to start diagnosing problems in a modern car. (Disregarding overt mechanical failure like a burst radiator hose or a wheel falling off.)

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's four days later now. Hopefully, by now, you've had the codes read and know what the issue is. If you haven't read the codes, no one will be able to guess without a lot of incredibly expensive trial and error.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why can't people post the mileage on there cars?

Car icon Turtle on the mfd is usually bad hybrid battery. Maybe hybrid battery ground fault from rotten battery disconnect 12 volt battery and reconnect that will clear the code and allow you to drive.

Till it happens again......