1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine does not shut down!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by RM007FC, Aug 17, 2016.

1. RM007FC

RM007FC New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Gen 2 2006 Prius engine works continuously and does not shut down even when car is stopped and parked. It shuts down after pressing power button. Problem started after I changed oxygen sensor and then car was reset by computer, could these actions cause the problem? If someone knows what kind of problem is that and how to fix it please respond.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since the problem started after you performed a repair, it is reasonable to assume that repair caused the problem - unless more information is provided which would disprove that assumption.

1. The Prius has an air/fuel ratio sensor which is located upstream from the catalytic converter.
    2. The Prius has an oxygen sensor which is located downstream from the catalytic converter.
    3. Which part was replaced, and did you install the correct Toyota part?
    4. If you replaced the A/F ratio sensor with an oxygen sensor, that certainly is the reason for your problem.
    5. What does "reset by computer" mean?

3. RM007FC

RM007FC New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for response. I Changed oxygen sensor, sensor between TWCs (see picture). Sensor i purchased on amazon:
    . I do not know exact meaning of RESET, but when check engine errors and all possible errors are erased by diagnostic tool we call it RESET. Today i am going to install old sensor and will see if it solve the problem. After replacement of oxygen sensor check engine did not disappear and diagnostic tool Showed Bank 1 Sensor 1 error. i think this is upstream sensor.
    Sc3RP.jpg IMG_20160817_165000.jpg

4. RM007FC

RM007FC New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We solved the problem :) One guy told me that sometimes this happens when you connect diagnostic tool, so we firstly cut off power supply from AC battery then cleaned Throttle and the problem was solved :)

5. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats on fixing this! At least the engine turned off when you press the button. My entire car wouldn't turn off. I had to unplug the 12V. I hope it didn't damage anything.

6. RM007FC

RM007FC New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Than you! In my case unplugging the battery did not damage anything, Audio system and everything works properly.

7. Khardan

Khardan New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My car also do not stop the ICE, so I will try to do the same. What do you mean by "cleaned Throttle"?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    search 'throttle body cleaning'.