1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Exhaust Pipe Heat Protection

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by edwardob, Aug 31, 2013.

1. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    any ever use Engine Exhaust Pipe Heat Protection?
    maybe useful keep cat convertor warm....or even two pipes that exchange heat to engine?

one explanation "Heat wrap works by shielding the hot gases from the breathing system and helps to retain the hot air in the exhaust manifold system"

what you guys think?

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    wrap works, but when you live in a humid climate, it traps moisture against the pipes and makes them rust out very quickly. if the exhaust is a decent grade of stainless, it might be ok. but i wrapped a tube on my hooker super comp headers that was made too close to the oil pan, and it rusted out bad. moral of story: hooker headers suck anyway.

edwardob likes this.
  3. edwardob

edwardob Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    prius seems to be quality.....heat exchange pipes seem to be good also

4. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    well sure, the prius is good quality or i wouldn't own 2 of them. :cool: but how do we know what sort of alloy the pipes are made of? if they are not designed to handle the extra head and moisture from wrapping, it would be an expensive lesson. i'd want to do some serious research before i tried it.