1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Failure.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by tspoerer21, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Sunny Sunny

Sunny Sunny New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have just had to swap my engine on my 2013 Prius after 152 K miles. My engine's piston rod broke and smashed through the casing blowing gaping holes on 2 sides of the casing and this happened on the surface streets while driving at 40MPH. I was lucky because i was on the freeway and had just taken an exit. I would have had a catastrophic accident as the freeways in Los Angeles are a pretty dangerous place for stalled cars.
    I have reached out to Toyota, no help, Dealer (DCH of Torrance had misdiagnosed the issues and failed to let me know of the issue, lost complete trust on them at this time).I have opened a case with NHSTA but have not heard back from them
    Anyways, i find that Toyota's quality and workmanship have taken a nose dive and they have tried to grow too fast to be number 1 and will start facing the brunt of it soon. With over 200 class action lawsuits i am not sure whether i will ever trust Toyota as they might like many organizations will file bankruptcy protection and the poor customers will be left with begging bowls.
    So long Toyota. No more of my business...
    As for the Prius, i have had to repair it and i am not going to retain it any longer. Also planning to file a lawsuit pretty soon and may have more people join me for another class-action lawsuit.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Was the engine coolant reservoir often in need of top up?

More'n likely due to clogged Exhaust Gas Recirculation components, and the EGR passages in the intake manifold. If EGR is clogged, engine runs hotter, head gasket fails allowing coolant into cylinders, and coolant being uncompressible, piston arms start making holes in the engine block.

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Another member here is doing that already, numbers are needed (y)

4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Maybe the filters weren’t getting changed or the oil was cheap?