1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine gets stuck in low gear

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mi2k, Jun 14, 2013.

1. mi2k

mi2k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2012 Prius v 5 with 30K miles. Twice in the last 15 days the car has got stuck in a low gear on flat roads. I was pressing the pedal just enough to maintain 55 on the highway. It would not switch to EV if the speed went down below 44. The battery indicator did not show a depleted battery. There were no warning lights. We drive quite gently.

Both times I shut off the car at the first chance I got at a traffic light. Both times, on starting again, the car behaved normal! It was as if a computer reboot fixed the problem.

Does someone have an idea what could be going on? Has anyone else experienced it?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm not quite understanding what the problem is. what is 'low gear'? there are no gears, is the ice revving high? do you have a scangauge?

3. mi2k

mi2k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I am sorry -- I am not technical or familiar with the internals. Yes, the engine was revving high, as in engine braking in other cars.

4. Jzerocsk

Jzerocsk Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

Perhaps you had the "B" mode enabled? Worth noting, if you put it in "B" mode, it will stay there until you move the shifter back to "D". It seems like you might almost use it like a handbrake (at least that's how I thought it would work when I first tried it), but it actually stays enabled until you disable it.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    right, and if you shut the car off, it starts back up in park and you have to put it in drive again.

6. mi2k

mi2k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I am quite positive it was not in the B mode (although I have never tried it). Both times I was driving normally and the transition to revving happened all of a sudden without me doing anything.

That's correct.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can bump the shifter while driving, but bumping it into b mode would be difficult i think?

8. Jzerocsk

Jzerocsk Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Since "B" is straight down it's easier to do that than anything else. With the v-wagon shifter position it seems entirely possible to bump it accidentally.

That said, mi2k has had the car for long enough that it seems strange it didn't happen until just the last couple of weeks...my advice is that when/if it happens again, check the dash to see if the car thinks it's in "B" mode...if it does and you're certain you didn't bump the shifter, then you have a clue that perhaps there's an issue with the actual shifter. And if it says it's in "D" then there's something else going on!

9. mi2k

mi2k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't think I would have bumped it to B. I am aware of it now -- if it was to happen again I would make sure that it was not because I bumped it to B. I will also try shifting to D whether or not I bumped it.

Thanks, both of you!

10. MarathonMarty

MarathonMarty Prii 4-timer

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Another indication that you are in 'B' mode is that you will not be able to activate cruise control until it is placed in 'D'.

11. lbr

lbr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    THe prius also reacts the same if the battery is full. Then instead of charging it will use the petrol engine to slow down when you take you're foot of the gas. It does not need to be in B for that.

12. skwcrj

skwcrj Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    True. But even then, it will shutdown when reaching a complete stop.

Mi2K,

As others have said, your shifter maybe going B on its own. You might want to schedule an appointment with your dealer. The shifter is just an electronic switch and it may be going bad. Someone else had problems with the car going into reverse when put in drive so going into B could happen as well.

Putting car in Drive, but goes to reverse | PriusChat

We may be seeing two documented problems with the shifter.

13. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it happens again, glance at the gear display to the right of the speedometer. Verify that it shows it in "D".

14. Bob G IA

Bob G IA Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It may be that you have a temperature sensor going bad causing the system to drop into warm up mode. If you have or could get a ScanGuage II you could look at water temp & ignition timing.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    time to visit the dealer.

16. mi2k

mi2k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for all the new suggestions since my last post. I have just discovered a dealer mistake at the last service that I have posted in another thread. Do you think that could have a relevance to this problem?