1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine/Inverter Coolant Change, and Transmission Fluid Change?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by UoD, Dec 15, 2015.

1. UoD

UoD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My wife's 2012 Prius C just hit the 100,000 mark. According to the manual, it's time for the Engine/Inverter coolant change. Does anyone have a writeup on this? I was thinking about doing it myself, but I wasn't able to turn up anything specific to the Prius C when searching around. If not, what's a decent price to pay to have this done at a shop?

Also --- I don't see anything in the manual about changing the transmission fluid. I used to have a 2011 Prius, and I recall doing that change early because a lot of people on the forums here were noticing that the fluid was getting nasty looking at the 60,000 mark or sooner. Should I go ahead and get the transmission fluid changed now as well?

2. Mo G

Mo G Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Might as well. I changed the transmission fluid at 60k and the inverter coolant along with it. Had the dealer do it, and they weren't willing at first. They kept quoting 100k should be when it's done. But never hurts to do it sooner.

3. ColdCase

ColdCase Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Only hurts if they screw it up, which happens enough that one may think about the risk of exposing the car to dealer wrenches twice as much as you need to. :)

Mo G likes this.
  4. Mo G

Mo G Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You are correct ColdCase. Luckily, I have always had good luck at this dealer, for any work needed. Other than purchasing new tires purchased else where, ally work has been from the dealer. The Usual fluid changes is all. Nothing major. Of anything fails due to the service performed, it'll be the dealer responsible.

5. priustexasbob

priustexasbob Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    that is why one should always keep a copy of your service records

Mo G likes this.
  6. Mo G

Mo G Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Correct! Have the print out with the milage written on it all, along with the service managers name that was there that day as well. (y)

priustexasbob likes this.
  7. UoD

UoD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just took it into the shop to have all three (engine, inverter and transmission) done. About $350 ... which, I found to be reasonable. I just changed out the spark plugs too over the weekend. Shop wanted $250 for that. No way. $44 for the plugs and $5 for the socket (because I apparently lost my old one).

Mo G likes this.
  8. jdkane527

jdkane527 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    What transmission fluid did you replace it with? Is Toyota OEM ATF the recommended or is there a better option?