1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine is continuously running and engine, VSC, break light and red triangle lights are on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Nahk, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Nahk

Nahk New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi I’m new here and desperately need help.

One early morning when I started my car, I noticed there was heavy smoke coming from the exhaust system.

My mistakes
    A. I top-upped and overfilled Engine oil
    B. The vehicle needed pink coolant but I didn’t know so I was using blue colour coolant in reserver tank for some time. Now after knowing that my car need pink after when noticed the smoke. I just refilled the reserve tank with pink but the tank was overflown because I change it in the dark and it spill over on engine a bit. However, when I checked the radiator tank, It was filled with green colour coolant.

C. My neighbour needed help in jump start so he used my car to jump his van. The van battery was completely dead and it was a large battery and I believe that this might have damaged the power module controller that is now miss behaving.

After one day red triangle warning lights with engine, VSC, and break lights came up on the dash board.
    Below is my efforts that might help other who are facing similar problem.
    1. I took it local gerage, he accelerated fully to check engine power. Suddenly I hearda loud (bang) noise that only occurred once. I didn’t have clue if something has had broken or why that noise had occurred.
    2. He put OBD scanner, and said it’s need to change spark plugs and one ignition coil because the car now stared jerking/shaking after that noise (it was not jerking before but it just losing power on gas) I believe with this aggressive continuing accelerator, he might had damaged something else.
    3. I took it another gerage and he replaced only spark plug and he said don’t need to change coil. But he put Bosch R6, however I later I found online that most people recommended Denso SK16R. So I’m not sure it R6 are correct spark plugs that he put. the car start JERKING and accelerator power got worse because sometime it completely losses power and had stopped in the middle of road. When the problem hadn’t fixed he suggested the car might need to change the gear (transmission oil). Or there might be Clutch or transmission problem
    4. I took it to another gerage he scanned diagnostic test and said his machine shows (powertrain module) and need to take it Hybrid electrician.( unfortunately we don’t have hybrid mechanic in our area) so to double check I took it to another mechanic but all his scanner was not showing any code or fault.
    1. So I took it to auto electrician hybrid mechanic and he spend one week on investigating what could be the problem because his computer was also not showing any code. Except he suggested to change or reconditioned the hybrid battery. Now the car rear exhaust fan was start making noise so it has confirmed that some battery cell are getting weaker.
    2. I took it to Toyota dealership mechanic, after scanned they suggested that 2nd and third block of cell are getting low in hybrid battery However, they could not specifically identified the issue to solve the problem.
    3. So I researched myself and I ordered cells and replaced those cell blocks myself.
    4. Now the the rear battery fan is not making noise and the car has some sort of power that I can drive upto 40 mph. However, the power is not that it used to. it was not safe to drive on road So It was parked for a month until the 12 v batter got completely dead. So one day I did jump started from another Nissan car that has original Nissan micra 12 battery and surprisingly all warning sign disappeared and engine started running norma without any warning light . I checked the battery specification and it was 50ah original Nissan battery where in my car has 45 ah 12v battery.
    5. So I replaced the 12 volt battery and asked the shop manger if it’s safe to install 50 ah battery. He said do not install 50ah battery because my car need 45ah battery. So I bought new 12v 45ah battery despite I got 2 usable battery at home. But It didn’t fix problem the warning lights are still there and the car has less power
    6. I disconnected the 12v battery couple of times and leave it for 10 minutes so if the system reset but it didn’t work. I used the jumper method under the scanner socket to reset the VSC & other lights but failed.
    7. I drained and changed new engine oil and oil filter.
    8. I drained and changed new coolant in both reservoirs and radiator tanks.
    9. I bought £15 cleaning agent and put in patrol tank for flush and cleaning of engine and catalytic system
    10. Now the car has excellent power even with small push on the accelerator pad, however when I fully depressed the pad while it’s park, it’s start jerking but only in high accelerator. That is why I avoid not to drive on motorway.
    Now the engine is still continuously running without stop so the car can get energy from hybrid battery.

Also the engine, VSC, break light and red triangle lights are still on. Also I noticed that when I turn the heather on, the car accelerator power get reduce significantly and the noise.

Scanner doesn’t show any code. Thank you in advance for your help.

2. Nahk

Nahk New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This car is Prius 2007 2nd generation. And these are warning lights and engine is continuously running.

Attached Files:

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Did you pay the dealer for that scan, and did they give you the OBD2 codes?
    Best to install the proper plugs, be careful buying online as there are counterfeits everywhere now.

It sounds like you have the skills to win this battle, but you will need a toyota hybrid compatible OBD2 scan tool for the job.

Many will use a "mini-vci" cable (20usd) for retrieving OBD2 codes (DTCs) and "TechStream" (dealership technician diagnostic software) running on a windows device (you can also emulate). Others may get by with an OBD2 bluetooth adapter and an App like Dr Prius, Hybrid Assistant, or Torque (which has a bit of a learning curve).

Once you have scanned the vehicle with a toyota hybrid compatible OBD2 scanner, post the DTCs (codes) here for additional guidance.

Nahk likes this.
  4. Nahk

Nahk New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for you reply. Yes they provided diagnostic report which suggested in comments -‘“warning lights. Requires replacement hybrid battery due to multiple bad cells”.
    Also indicated all 4 tyres tread. Near side front 3.0MM, offside front 4.0MM, Nearside rear 4.0MM, Offside rear 3.0MM, here in the U.K. the legal minimum tyre tread depth is 1.6mm, I don’t know if tyre are causing or related to warning signs but I always make sure air recommended air pressure in tyres?
    The OBD2 code they provided are
    P0AC0 Hybrid Battery pack current sensor circuit
    P0AFA Hybrid Battery System voltage low
    In front of both the above(Freeze Frame “Yes”)

P3012 Battery Block 2 Becomes Weak
    P3013 Battery Block 3 Becomes Weak
    In front of both the above( Freeze Frame “No”)

Yes I paid £72 to the Toyota dealer for that scan.

I have changed block of cells counting from the right side of the battery, opposite to the battery circuit & connector side but what’s the meaning of other 2 codes P0AC0 & P0AFA, does these automatically shows in reports if the cell are weak and nothing to do or I have to replace something in the battery?
    Also, I noticed both front break pad are getting low and stereo turning on and itself, does this indicate any short circuit in wiring because I noticed this when I turn steering to 90 degree, suggest problem in steering wheel clock spring. Does these two issue can also lead to these warning on dashboard?

Ta

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the workup for P0AC0 you may see step #2 (on page HB 69), which gives instructions that include the voltage and resistance values for testing the HV battery current sensor.

There is an additional way to inspect the sensor by probing the terminals for resistance. Follow the step-by-step instructions on page 142 (HB 142), this would also require the use of a multimeter. There may be no need to replace this battery current sensor if it tests good.

For DTC P0AFA, inspect if voltage sense harness is the issue, or where it makes connection to the HV battery ECU. Images below.

You can purchase a new OEM harness for around 60usd at the toyota dealership. If none of the local dealers are price competitive, then you might try ordering online (be aware of import duty if applicable) : Buy Genuine Toyota 82165-47040 (8216547040) Wire, Frame, No.2 for Toyota Prius. Prices, fast shipping, photos, weight - Amayama

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dolj likes this.