1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Knock even after cleaning EGR pipe cooler

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Radiospank, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That's it's location;).

If you do the job, get some FIPG:).

Some of the studs need that(y).

2. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1CEC2F27-0C82-4658-BCB9-C7BB28E3F9AA.jpeg 96FA70ED-3626-4883-965F-7A579BBB798A.jpeg 11488EFD-936F-411B-9A46-118A554809A0.jpeg 535B592F-3ED9-4DAD-B191-E3A7CE11247D.jpeg E450C641-FBF3-4E1B-84A2-9952B6E27EEF.jpeg 5B94167F-D5D2-4721-A6EA-D52AB97CAA3C.jpeg 4181C4FA-C077-47AB-A635-7D291CF8A733.jpeg Doing a compression check today and a quick look at my plugs and they look kinda bad, I believe white is a sign of burning oil? Spark plugs are only 11k miles old!

ok results of compression test are
    Cylinder 1 100 psi
    Cylinder 2 95 psi
    Cylinder 3 95 psi
    Cylinder 4 95 psi

and I double checked cylinder 1 twice to make sure it wasn’t off and I got 100 again. Bear in mind I’m using a harbor freight compression kit so it may be low in spec but cylinders are all pretty close in compression so I’d say maybe the bad spar plugs are causing all the shaking or Mis fires that occurred in cylinder 1?

hey guys, so I think I got fake spark plugs from China, I looked back at my order history and I got them from some Rando in China for $16 plus shipping, that is so cheap for some denso plugs but I wasn’t to aware on fake Toyota shit on eBay and. Amazon. I just compared my new ngk plugs to the old fake denso and the gap on the denso is larger than .050 where the NGK is gapped at .40, so it’s kinda of making sense why these fake denso are worn down and looking bad already at only 11k miles. I will install the new ones and see if that will resolve my engine knocking.

#62 Radiospank, Mar 11, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  3. Willy Toast

Willy Toast Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I hope the plugs turn out to fix the issue. I am leaning towards a very different solution to my rattle under light acceleration. Seems my situation is almost identical to another posting where the damper between the ICU and the transmission was shaking . I am not getting any engine codes and all the rattling only happens when there is light pressure form the ICU. No pressure= no rattling and hard acceleration=no rattling either. Whether a damper swap or a head gasket job both are big jobs.

4. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    yea the damper is as bad as the gasket or worse since the engine must come out I believe

5. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Update with new plugs installed.
    Started the car in 46 degree weather which is cold for me and my car ;) no shakes or rattles, car sounded quieter and ran smoother. Prior to this the car would rattle and shake at idle occasionally and sound loud like a Diesel engine almost, but now it’s quiet

ASRDogman likes this.
  6. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Just got finished doing my egr clean and catch can, not yet sure if I have cold start rattle but it was pinging a bit under load, however it was a warm one (30c)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

7. Willy Toast

Willy Toast Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    No I think motor stays but the inverter must come out so electrical system involved, and transmission must come out too. No choice i guess

8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Did you try high octane to rule out pinging?

9. Willy Toast

Willy Toast Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the reminder i will try tomorrow when i go for groceries.

However, I am reading a post by gearhead600 about his damper issues and it is looking almost exactly like my situation. I get no engine codes. I was having trouble defining the noise but the rumbling sounds like loose metal parts in a drum. When i go faster or accelerate hard the parts pull together and no noise, smooth running but at 20 to 30 mph light acceleration I hear the loose rumble. Though my car has only 59,000 miles on it it is all city with about 50% in rush our stop and go traffic which would put extra strain on the damper with all the stopping and starting.

I will try the high octane to be certain. Any idea how to get the correct gen 3 procedure for the damper swap?

10. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I will but its already got a full tank at moment, It had a lot of buildup in the intake manifold and cylinder head ports, no doubt I washed more carbon into the upper cylinder when cleaning inside the head ports with carby and brake cleaner, It had that smell of rotten eggs for a minute or so when fired up for the first time
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you use an impact wrench or an impact driver? How hard was it to remove the screws?

I plan to clean my EGR circuit for the first time in the coming month. I plan to get the appropriate tools but have no experience with a power impact wrench, power impact driver, or manual impact driver. From what I just learned on YouTube, it seems to me that an impact driver can hold a screwdriver bit, but an impact wrench can only fit in an impact socket.

Does a power hammer drill work?

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It’s not do-or-die that you have to disassemble the Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve. I cleaned both ends of the valve without going the extra step.

13. Willy Toast

Willy Toast Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I must have been very lucky. For me the two screws only took a perfect fit Phillips head to get them loose. Then it was nothing to unscrew the rotor and push the stem down. In my case only the stem was sticking the rest was passable. (However, I still have a rumble rattle which I now am thinking is most likely the damper based upon gearhead600 article .)

I saw before that you found a source for the screws so no risk if damaged. Looks like standard bicycle water bottle mount screws but i could be wrong.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My screws came off easy with a screwdriver, but yes I do have an impact driver that I use to grip stripped heads or stubborn screws.

15. sLick415

sLick415 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are the screws on the EGR valve cover JIS by any chance?

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Very likely. I have a JIS screw driver, “purportedly” also an impact driver, ie: you hid the head with a hammer and it’s supposed to do a slight counterclockwise twist. Except: it appears to do squat. I have a similar regular impact screw driver with Phillips bits, and it’s worked well with brake rotor retaining screws in past (likely also JIS) so that would be my go-to tool.

sLick415 likes this.
  17. sLick415

sLick415 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah I have one of those manual impact drivers as well with Phillip bits but never had any luck with those pesky Honda rotor screws. Always had to drill them out. Might be time to finally invest in some JIS bits before I tackle this EGR system.

18. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've plugged the Lisle Seized Fastener Removal Kit enough times on here I should probably write them and ask for a commission.

It's what I used to get into this EGR valve here. Like buttah.

[​IMG]

19. Willy Toast

Willy Toast Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Seems to be a fair bit of corrosion in the stator. How was the stem working? Did it move easily?

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It did when I was done with it. :) This was a valve I bought from somebody else as a spare, and I suspect it had been in storage and hadn't been operated for a while. The corrosion on the stator poles was fairly superficial, and I just made sure to clean it off, as well as the matching rust marks on the rotor, so there would be no mechanical interference between the two. I think I used a bit of Nevr-Dull on the stator, not for the aesthetics, but because it leaves a bit of residue behind that should slow further corrosion.

It's convenient that when reassembling the valve, it's hard to keep the rotor spun all the way down on the stem, against the spring; one has to let go eventually before the stator is all the way back on, and the rotor rides a little ways up on the stem. Then cinching the stator down pushes on the rotor and opens the valve slightly.

That makes it easy to check that the valve pintle can be pushed back to a fully closed position easily with a thumb. It moves smoothly back, with a soft whirring sound, confirming that the rotor is spinning inside.