1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Knock even after cleaning EGR pipe cooler

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Radiospank, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Looks like someone doused it with oven cleaner??

2. Rocky Mountain Priusman

Rocky Mountain Priusman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    [QUOTE="
    hey guys, so I think I got fake spark plugs from China.[/QUOTE]

I've been reading through this entire thread, and it looks like the cause of all your problems were fake spark plugs? Thats really good info to know.

3. Radiospank

Radiospank Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've been reading through this entire thread, and it looks like the cause of all your problems were fake spark plugs? Thats really good info to know.[/QUOTE]yea although this afternoon I started it up and it started to shake a bit which is odd because it usually starts up in the morning in cold weather like a champ now. I suspect there was condensation in the IM because the car was sitting for two days, hence the rough start this afternoon, but it went away as soon as I turned it off and on again.

AW82 and Rocky Mountain Priusman like this.
  4. Rocky Mountain Priusman

Rocky Mountain Priusman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Keep us updated!

My 2005 Prius was never kept in a garage. Started it more than a few times at -25 degrees Fareheit after it had sat outside all night, no real issues. When you start a car in weather that cold usually the cabin air fan squeals like crazy for about 30 seconds, even if it is on lowest setting. LCD screen also seems a bit slow but it all starts working pretty quickly.

Anyways, kept it outside an started it in average winter temperatures of about 10-20 degrees F but frequently below 0 for 7 years. Never had a problem. Hope my 2010 can perform in the same way. Luckily I recently moved and have access to a carport. So it will still be outside in the cold every night but I can plug in the block heater which should help. I had the 2005 Prius plugged in for this winter's polar vortex so when I had to start it a few times at -33 degrees F it was like cranking it on a warm day.

Mendel Leisk and ASRDogman like this.
  5. Willy Toast

Willy Toast Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Checking the valve like that makes a lot of sense to me.

6. AW82

AW82 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    yea although this afternoon I started it up and it started to shake a bit which is odd because it usually starts up in the morning in cold weather like a champ now. I suspect there was condensation in the IM because the car was sitting for two days, hence the rough start this afternoon, but it went away as soon as I turned it off and on again.[/QUOTE]

Whew! I'm new to Prius world and have been doom scrolling the forums the last week or so. I'm glad I read all the way to the end of this thread and hope this really is the end of your troubles. I had adjusted valves on my CRV last year and put new plugs in the same time. They were legit ngk but one was defective. Until I figured that out I thought I had botched the valve adjustment!

I'm hoping the same for my new old Prius. It'll be parked outside in Wisconsin. I'm planning to install a block heater, which I think will help attenuate the effects of all the short trips the car will be used for. I'm planning to get a smart outlet so I can set the heater on a timer. I'm wondering how long it'll need to get the car up to ideal startup temp when it's 0-10F.

I think over 4 months

I will be doing the repairs. I don't mind opening up the battery and swapping bad cells out. The problem is getting it from OH to NC.

#86 AW82, Mar 22, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2021
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I find 2 hours brings it to a “plateau”, about 25C higher than ambient, but our winters are mild. In serious cold maybe 3 hours.

REALLY secure the block heater cord securely in the grill. And use an extension cord that can pull out easy, cus sooner-or-later you WILL forget to unplug.

The install is BARELY DIY doable, if you unbolt a wiring harness bracket or two, and push/cajole all adacent conduits out of the way, as hard as you can. Try from above AND below; for me from below got it done. Helped that I have 3 hands and eyes on stalks too.

Hold off buttering up the heat element with hear transfer grease: get the element started into the hole first, then back it almost out, apply all the grease, then work it back in, with a twist as you go to avoid scraping it all off.

#87 Mendel Leisk, Mar 23, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    AW82 likes this.