1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine knocking, CEL, fouled plug, and lost coolant

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Sammy B, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Sammy B

Sammy B Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you. I will let the moderators correct my spelling error if they believe it significantly detracts from the original purpose of this post. You forgot a comma, by the way.

dame3780 and m.wynn like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ok, sorry about that.

3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Definitely sounds like a head gasket.

With the amount of oil consumption and head gasket issue, I would look to source a used engine. They can be had for ~$1200-1500 and have 20-70 k miles on them.

Just make sure it is the 1.8 L engine. The Prius C 1.5L engine is also out there and is significantly less. One member a couple of months ago made that mistake.

Keep us posted(y).

m.wynn likes this.
  4. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It must be true, I read it on the internet!

The OP has stated that he has religiously done his own maintenance since new. Same degree of anonymity and cred as your opinion that the common Gen 3 engine issues are due to lack of upkeep. I believe Sammy B (he displays a reasonable level of mechanical aptitude) and I agree with the point of your post. This is an internet forum.

My point (with only internet forum cred to back it) in this thread is that head gasket failure is a Gen 3 issue. I include pistons/rings/EGR in my fantasy recall because I personally believe Toyota has fubar(ed) all with regard to the Gen 3 engine, upkeep maintenance aside.

In the last year or so there are several "confirmed" reports of head gasket failure and at least a handful of threads in which owners are chasing misfires unsuccessfully. Many of these are at a mileage that, although reasonably high, is not high at all with regard to Toyota. New plugs, musical coil packs, misfire at the same cylinder... Is an ECM/ignition issue the root problem for each one of these? Could be, but I'm not recalling any confirmation of this. I suspect the electric water pump needs to be replaced at a given interval on Gen 3, at least for those who go long-haul with their vehicles, and the OP has seemingly confirmed his water pump is dead. But I may be wrong and that's why I've started encouraging the latest confirmed failures to verify water pump status. If you search the Gen 2 forum, head gasket failure is a complete rarity. So even if Gen 2 owners do zero maintenance, the motors in general, are not burning coolant at twice the age and, at times, twice the mileage as the Gen 3's.

With the amount of both oil and coolant the car is burning, I'm surprised the plugs are even identifiable as such.

Scooby Doo laugh!!

Best of luck, Sammy B. At the risk of being a pain in the nice person, please verify if your water pump is dead or not.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Sammy B

Sammy B Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you Ray and Wynn. I will start tearing it apart this weekend and see what I come up with. If I can get away with doing a head gasket, then I would rather do that. It's a lot cheaper than a new (used) engine. However, considering how long I have had the oil consumption problem, I think that I may also have some bad rings. I'm going to pick up an endoscope and take a peak down into the cylinder. Hopefully, that reveals something. I would also like to do a compression test, however, I don't think that is possible without a fancy Toyota diagnostic tool. The dealer said that they charge $125 to do a compression test, even if I remove the wiper arm assembly and front valance. So basically, they would charge me $125 to unscrew four spark plugs and press a couple buttons. Not cool. I will also check the water pump.

I neglected to mention that I did swap the coil packs into different cyclinders, however, I continued to get the same trouble code: P0302. This, in combination with the fouled #2 plug, may be further evidence that the #2 cylinder is indeed bad.

m.wynn likes this.
  6. thatoneraccoon

thatoneraccoon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I think ive heard something about if Coolant gets old or past its rated mileage that it turns into some kinda acid and eats head gaskets like its candy o_O

7. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think so.
    Looks like everything that can go wrong did do so in this car. Any issues with battery or ticking CV joints?
    I understand that industry standard for car longevity is 150,000 miles. If Toyota shoots for 180,000, it's above standard.

8. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can do a simple compression check with the Prius in inspection mode:

Stuck piston control rings and clogged return holes are indeed the reason these engines move oil. If you're going to tackle the head gasket, you may as well fix your oil burning, too. I would do new rings for how cheap they are but they may free up and be fine. Then drill out factory return holes and reassemble. Ivan Temnykh does a great video here with a Corolla which should be a very similar process to Gen 3 Prius.

Mini VCI or even better, VXDiag VCX Nano for Techstream are brilliant chinese hacks for under $100. Mini VCI can be a tad buggy but VXDiag works as I would imagine the real deal does. I've got a solid amount of experience with both and can say you should for sure have one or the other. Pays for itself the first time you hook up.

You've got me really fired up about this project! Please take pics/video and be generous with the updates.

telmo744, Rebound and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. Sammy B

Sammy B Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Awesome! Thank you, Wynn! I will keep the board updated.

10. Sammy B

Sammy B Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Aight, I tore into the Prius today. I'm not sure of the firing order, so I'm just going to refer to the cylinders in order from left to right when looking in the engine compartment (1 2 3 4). Here's a few photos of what I found:

2017-02-03_01-31-13.jpg

This is the top of one of the normal pistons (either 1, 3, or 4).

2017-02-03_01-30-36.jpg

This is the inside of the number 2 cylinder. Pretty certain that its a nice blend of oil and coolant.

I did a compression test using the "maintenance mode" method from the video above and got the following numbers: 150 155 145 150. Those numbers seem kind of low, but at least they are consistent. I'm guessing that the higher compression in the #2 cylinder is due to the amount of fluid in the cylinder. These numbers further lead me to believe that it's a head gasket.

m.wynn likes this.
  11. Sammy B

Sammy B Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not done yet...

I also removed the EGR pipe and this is what I found.

IMG_0994.JPG

IMG_0999.JPG

As you can see, it's pretty filthy. I'm going to pull the intake off tomorrow, clean everything out, and put it back together. Hopefully, this will at least solve the engine shaking. Still not sure if I should fix the head gasket or just put in a low mileage engine. Like I said, I already have 180k miles on this thing.

m.wynn and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Looks packed:(. Might want to also pull off the egr valve and take a peak into the cooler.

When doing the intake manifold, ensure the egr inlet passages are clear as they will likely also be packed.

Keep the pics coming(y)

m.wynn and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    One thing to also do if you are removing the intake manifold is to replace the PCV valve. Normally a lot tougher to do but a 5 minute job with the manifold off. Also a $7 part so cheap insurance.

m.wynn likes this.
  14. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What's that orange discoloration on the coil?
    BTW, I believe the EGR should be routinely cleaned every 100000 miles.

m.wynn likes this.
  15. m.wynn

m.wynn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As Ray points out, the EGR pipe is just one small portion of the entire EGR circuit. You will find the EGR ports in the intake manifold heavily clogged, imo. Also, the EGR valve and cooler are likely in need of cleaning, too, even if the car hasn't thrown P0401.

Not surprised the compression is similar across the cylinders. If you drop the oil pan and pop the pistons out, you'll very likely find all oil control rings similarly coked. Compression rings are likely similarly free.

Awesome story so far, keep on digging and snapping pics!! Not making light of your situation but it's great to see a tear down on a Gen 3 engine.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  16. Sammy B

Sammy B Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Jacek, I'm not sure what the orange stuff is on the coils, but it's on all of them. Looks like something that was sprayed on by the factory.

I'll probably end up taking apart more of this car than I intended, and I usually take pictures so I know where everything goes when I put it back together. So far, I've probably disconnected about thirty wiring harness connectors.

That said, does anyone know of a good source for a repair manual? The TIS system looks promising, but the subscription is $15 for two days and it looks like there would be a lot of stuff that I would have to download. Has anyone here tried it? There is also a Haynes manual, but, well... it's a Haynes manual.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wonder what's happening with high mileage cabs; seems like a crazy imposition: the EGR clogging is a "when", not an "if". Toyota should 'fess up on this.

m.wynn likes this.
  18. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If I were about to undertake what you will be, the $15 would be a worthwhile investment ;).

19. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    With pictures you hav posted ....my diagnose will be to go with good salvaged low miles engine....by time you repair so many things that burning coolant have done to your engine and contamination that was drawn back via egr will not be cost effective.....
    I'm glad you have pictures inside of combustion chambers....
    And one that show fluid inside is definitely a head gasket failed.....
    There is also possible that you have hydro lock that have damaged piston rings and head valve.....
    You definitely have stressed out crank and rod bearings with this type of leak
    If you do decide to replace engine ....
    You will need to replace O2 sensors.....
    And have some good highway time right after to burn and blow out exhaust system

#39 Samprocat, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  20. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I hope this will not discourage you from learning if your budget allows....to replace engine and become better owner and have skills to figure a lot of DIY