1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine knocking, CEL, fouled plug, and lost coolant

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Sammy B, Jan 29, 2017.

1. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Have you cleaned the entire EGR system and the intake manifold?

Pixel XL ?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. Hypemasta

Hypemasta Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No, I haven't done that. Now I'm getting a cylinder 2 and 4 misfire but the check engine light randomly goes off and the car runs better and then it will go back to check engine light and rattling at startup. Coolant level drops more often now and I refill it. Most likely need to replace engine but mechanic said he will insert camera in cylinder to see if coolant is getting in the engine then he wants to replace engine for $3500. Not to mention the hybrid battery hasn't been replaced yet so just waiting for that to happen. Trying to get the most mileage out it before I spend more money.

3. Hypemasta

Hypemasta Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not sure but I will ask next time I change my oil. Unless there's a way for me to check. I check my oil weekly and it doesn't seem watery. It reads on the dipstick and gets darker as I put more miles on it

4. Hypemasta

Hypemasta Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had to fill the coolant a couple times until I put some head gasket sealant in the coolant which seems to temporarily help. Put a camera down the cylinders and there appears to be liquid getting in there which explains the the cylinder 2 and r misfire. The odd thing is that one week the check engine light goes off and the car runs fine and the next I'm misfiring. Has been going on for months now. Anyone else experiencing this?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

amos and bisco like this.
  5. Hypemasta

Hypemasta Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Strange thing is that one week the engine light goes off and car runs fine and the other its misfiring. It's been going on for mi months now. Anyone else experiencing this?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

amos likes this.
  6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    With coolant leaking inside the cylinder, you will get the misfires. It depends on how you are driving
    and how much pressure you're putting on the weak head gasket. You "might" also have a loose wire
    that could be giving you a misfire.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    very common with 2010's around 100k, and creeping into 2011and 12. the problem is the egr circuit gets clogged with sludge.

amos likes this.