1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine light = bad hybrid system coolant valve: Warranty? Help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mstucky, Oct 1, 2007.

1. mstucky

mstucky New Member

Our 2005 Prius began having its engine light go on during the summer of 2006. It wasn't always on--usually just in hot weather after the car had been driven awhile, parked for an hour or two, then driven again. We talked to our Toyota mechanic, who said it was probably the air in the gas tank phenomena.

So we didn't worry too much about it. But the light kept coming on, and we had it checked out thoroughly. Turns out the Prius needs a new valve that's part of the hybrid cooling system. The valve is $87, but labor costs will run $500!

The shop claims that this part of the system isn't under warranty, although our warranty booklet indicates that the hybrid system is covered for 96 months or 100,000 miles. We have about 42,000 miles on the car.

Additionally, we're frustrated that we asked about it and were advised not to worry--and, of course, since this was just a verbal exchange (maybe even over the phone, we don't remember), we have no proof that it happened before the "basic" warranty went kaput at 36,000 miles.

Any recommendations of what to do?

Thanks.
    Stuckys

2. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    1. You should have documentation from the previous times you've had it checked. This proves the problem dates back quite a while.

2. You can insist they prove that the valve is not part of the hybrid system. Chances are, they can't.

3. You can get the Toyota regional rep involved. When you mention this at the dealership, they'll probably stop giving you backtalk.

4. You can bring the car to another dealership.

3. jk450

jk450 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mark and Gail Stucky @ Oct 1 2007, 08:10 PM) [snapback]520063[/snapback]</div>
    Are you sure that this valve isn't part of the engine cooling system? Say, a three-way plastic valve assembly valve that links the engine, the heater core and the coolant heat storage tank?

Put another way, were you told that this valve is part of the "hybrid system"? And if so, by whom?

4. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This should be covered under 5/60 for powertrain or 8/96 for hybrid system.

Ask the dealer to open up the sprial bound warranty pocket reference. I had to do this to get them to cover floor mats under 3/36.

Nate

5. DAVY

DAVY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just had mine replaced. ($550) Shop charged 5 hours labor!!!!! I now question how labor intensive it really is. From what I've read it is not under warranty after 36,000 miles. If its the valve I'm looking at on the front right corner (facing the hood) and looking down through small hole, it should be easy to change. If someone could verify that is the valve I would like to know. If it is, my guess is a two hour fix.

6. DAVY

DAVY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Engine light = bad hybrid system coolant valve: Warranty? Help!

Just had mine replaced. ($550) Shop charged 5 hours labor!!!!! I now question how labor intensive it really is. From what I've read it is not under warranty after 36,000 miles. If its the valve I'm looking at on the front right corner (facing the hood) and looking down through small hole, it should be easy to change. If someone could verify that is the valve I would like to know. If it is, my guess is a two hour fix.

7. DAVY

DAVY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks for the reply. I was told by the service mgr. that the valve controlled the cooling to the inverter. The code on the repair ticket was for the the valve that you mentioned.

8. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e

I just had this symptom in my 2004 at 150,000 miles. I had the dealer do the scheduled Coolant replacement (both loops) as well as replacing both water pumps, the thermostat and serpentine belt (preventative maintenance) for just under $1000.

The next day the check engine light went on and a little later the MFD gave an over temp warning. I had AutoZone pull the codes and a P1121 was registered which does point at the coolant valve (AutoZone misinterpreted the code as pointing at the accelerator sensor) which is associated with the coolant thermos system in the ICE loop.

There is a TSB on this issue (EG001-08) which states that it is covered under the 36month/36,000mile warranty (It is NOT part of the hybrid system).

My car was towed back to the dealer (at his expense) and he wanted $300 for the repair. I had him fill the ICE coolant first as it was very low (Technician error), clear the code and test again. The problem was then resolved (at least for now) for no cost and did not reappear when I drove 2000 miles round trip Connecticut/Chicago last week.

This coolant valve symptom may have been caused by a lack of lubrication due to air in the ICE coolant system that caused the valve to stick, but some day (200,000 miles, the next coolant refresh?) I will probably have to replace this valve (and perhaps the Thermos coolant pump which was stressed in this scenario - It ran dry several times and made extra noise when it did). Al-in-all a frightening, but reasonable resolution of a problem caused by technician error.

JeffD

9. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
  10. johnjamis

johnjamis Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Does anybody know the name and part number for this valve? Thanks

1 person likes this.
  11. dfrost7

dfrost7 Junior Member

Hmm. I'm having this problem as of today. I had my coolant changed by a non-dealer. I've been happy with their service since they're saving me a fortune. But, now I'm a bit
    concerned about this valve thing. Interesting when I checked here, after seeing the light all day, that it may involve the cooling system. I was thinking that this morning since the coolant was the only thing different I've done lately. I have a 2006 with 105,000. I drive a lot so I need to get this right. The engine light tends to be the cooling system? Do I need to steer the mechanic in this direction (not dealer)?

12. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did this non-dealer use the correct Toyota coolant? Other coolants can cause long-term problems (are there any other cars that use liquid-cooled electronics?). More immediately, it seems common not to get all the air out of the coolant loops. Check the levels yourself in the reservoirs and listen for burbling.

Unless you want your non-Toyota guy to learn on your car I'd take it to a dealer.

13. Vct

Vct New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four

During the 2011 Texas Summer ( 100 + for 80 days), the check engine light came on. Autozone told me the error code was the same - P1121. A quick online search told me it was coolant/ valve related .... I filled up the coolant and the CEL vanished after a few days.

On the odd days the CEL comes on and then vanishes by itself. Since the coolant was so low .. it could be that there are air bubbles in the system and the car is spitting out a CEL. DO this simple trick before you spend big $$$ at the $tealer. Surprised that the Prius does not have a sensor for low coolant.