1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine lights and codes and more lights!

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Fedari, May 4, 2017.

1. Fedari

Fedari New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hi everyone, thanks for checking this post out and for any feedback or help you can offer. I'll try to organize this neatly. I'm a student hoping to save some money and crossing my fingers that I can try some things out myself before taking it to the dealer.

Timeline of events:
    4/22/17: 50k service at Toyota dealership

4/26/17: Tires replaced at Costco (we noticed they left tools inside and had opened the rear to access either the 12 V battery and/or spare tire - no idea why)

5/3/17: Warning lights came on the dashboard and stayed on, the hybrid system doesn't seem to be engaging
    I removed the positive lead on the 12 V battery, waited 20 minutes, and replaced it - no change. Tightened the fuel cap - no change.

5/4/17: Took it to Midas to get computer codes and posted to this awesome forum

Dashboard lights staying on:
    • Check Engine
    • Hybrid System
    • Slip Indicator
    • Brake System

Codes obtained from Midas:
    • DTC No.: P0A94 and INF code 127, "Boost converter overvoltage signal detection (overvoltage due to system malfunction)"

• DTC No.: C1310/51 and no given INF code, "The internal malfunction signal is input for at least 0.072 seconds when IG2 terminal voltage is 10.5 V or more for at least 2 seconds and communication with power management control ECU is valid."

• DTC No.: C1259/58 and no given INF code, "The regeneration malfunction signal is input for at least 0.036 seconds when IG2 terminal voltage is 9.5 V or more for at least 2 seconds and communication with power management control ECU is valid."

Thanks!

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    So, does the car run? You said the hybrid system doesn't seem to be engaging. If it runs enough to go to Midas, the hybrid system would have to be engaging. Often many codes mean nothing because of some initial problem. Don't be afraid to take it to the dealer, reasonably speaking they are equipped to understand the fault. In any case your car is probably still in hybrid warranty. There is a known problem with the hybrid inverter that had a software recall and potential replacement if necessary. So go to the dealer.

"Hybrid-Related Component Coverage [1] Hybrid-related components, including the HV battery, battery control module, hybrid control module and inverter with converter, are covered for 8 years/100,000 miles. The HV battery may have longer coverage under emissions warranty."

"Powertrain Coverage[1] 60 months/60,000 miles (engine, transmission/transaxle, front-wheel-drive system, rear-wheel drive, seatbelts and airbags)."

Andyprius1, Mendel Leisk and Fedari like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    couple things, test the 12 volt, and take it to toyota for a proper scan.

Mendel Leisk and drysider like this.
  4. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    See above. If the battery is original, change it. 5 years gets you your money's worth.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    What does the dealer have that Midas doesn't to help diagnose problems? I'd presume (based on other manufacturers) they have a computer that hooks up to your OBD2 port and the cloud and a display that gives a list of probable causes in the order of probability and gives explicit instructions to the mechanic on how to troubleshoot by following a flow chart which gives "use this tool, do these tests, look at this result and based on the result do this next" flow charts.

Shotgunning (just throwing parts at the problem) isn't the most economical approach unless you get very lucky. Often one fault will be the cause of multiple faults.

6. Fedari

Fedari New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks everyone! I'll be taking it to the dealer soon. It didn't occur to me about the warranty since we bought it used.

The 12 V was replaced within the last 12 months, but I'll check it all the same.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    idk what midas has, but tech stream is the only prius specific software.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. RavMan

RavMan New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    IV
    I would get your LV 12v battery load tested. I know you said it was replaced 12 months ago. But if it was let to run down flat it may be damaged. Also if your charging circuit DC to DC converter, which steps down the high voltage to that of the 12V battery ok?
    I have seen 12v lv battery's give up a whole range of codes if the battery is failing.
    This is due to the voltage going low when a load is applied.

9. Tiffany Melendez

Tiffany Melendez New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    Two
    Good information.

10. autorun

autorun New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    During normal driving last night, I was stopped at a red light, the moment I hit gas,

4 Dashboard lights come on and staying on:
    • Check Engine
    • Hybrid System
    • Slip Indicator
    • Brake System
    Any idea what could be the problem?

I will try to get the codes later and post here.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What could be the problem? Check engine light could be a fault code registered on the power train(engine or emissions related).

Hybrid system. Any problem with any of the hybrid Conponents, would trigger the check hybrid system.

Slip indicator,fight mean, one or all the tires not properly inflated, or there isn't grip between the surface and the ground.

Brake light, could be a sign of low brake fluid, or the brake level sensor is malfunctioning.

Sometime, a held down parking brake might trigger that.

Dxta

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That will help a lot. Take it to the dealership and they will for sure get all the codes, and propose a course of action.

What's the miles; could be under warranty.

13. autorun

autorun New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    2012 Prius v level 3, 110,000 miles. Bought new in Nov 2011. My friend have mini-vci cable and tech stream software that come with it from ebay. What is way to get the codes (or clear them). My friend will be here in couple hours, but he never used the cable or software himself.

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hybrid warranty expired at 100K miles it looks like.

15. autorun

autorun New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Using techstream from my friend, I got 2 codes for the Hybrid system. P0A94 DC/DC converter performance and P324E MG-ECU Power relay intermittent circuit. Any one got any suggestion what could be wrong? Thanks.

16. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
  17. autorun

autorun New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the quick reply, I will read it in detail, but I have already exceeded 100K by close to 10K. Here are some more details I got, is this something I can order parts and work on myself?

18. autorun

autorun New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Detail screen shot on error codes.

Attached Files:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. autorun

autorun New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Here is an update for anyone that is interested. I cleared DTC, only P0A94 came back, I have inverter type B. sub code 553 and 557. According to TSB, IPM needs replacement. I found this info, seems I should be covered, but I never got notification from Toyota.
    Sorry link won't post

20. autorun

autorun New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    My question now is "Will it be safe to drive it to Toyota dealer now?" I know IPM is bad and needs replacement, so car will not go into hybrid mode, but gas engine starts just fine, so can I drive it in gas only mode to dealer. (about 10 miles)