1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine misfire, Transmission lights, and VSC lights... on my..

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by V8Cobrakid, Feb 17, 2009.

1. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How did this car get so messed up?

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the threads are fine on the two bolts i replaced. i have the feeling the other two are stripping or the bolts have snapped like the two i've replaced. the bolts they supply tend to snap before they even reached their low torque settings. ok.. maybe i'm going a tad bit past.. but still... i require the gaskets around the plugs to be sealed-ish.. it's very easy to be able to move them around slightly with my fingers. the new ones i'm not able to move at all thanks to the heavy duty bolts.

I tend to check my oil when i change it, and every several months.. since i require an oil change about two to three times a year...

i tend to use synthetics.. i've tried 15k miles, 7.5k miles, and other extensive use synthetics. i think the last thing i put in was valvoline 5w 30... that was a bit ago :confused: i'm not sure of the mileage.. but i know i've gone more on a single oil change.. multiple times..

i'm wondering if it's the oil pump.. any lights for that one?

oh.. and btw.. if you're oil goes SUPER low... an oil can pops up on the MFD.... i was going down hill.. and around corners when i saw it.. once.. but.. none the less.. before the car ceases up, you should get a light to worn you it's dead... ha...

3. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ... ah.. you always pull the important questions... mileage my friend.. mileage...

(non helpful.. yet important)

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How many miles? We've read of Prius taxis with 300,000 miles and no serious problems.

The question and answer will not be helpful to you, but perhaps to others.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    111K miles per V8's signature. V8's car has a sufficient number of problems so that it is hard to keep track of them all.

Regarding the engine oil pump, I suggest that you first make sure that the oil level is correct. Then if you continue to see the MFD oil can that warns of low oil pressure, you can suspect the oil pump. Otherwise the warning probably came on due to low oil level which left the pickup tube momentarily high & dry during driving.

Regarding the issue of bolts snapping, this is indicative of excessive torque being applied. I've found that my 3/8" and 1/2" Craftsman click torque wrenches are very useful tools, as I personally would tend to apply excessive torque otherwise. This is why I usually provide torque values when posting about how to do a particular job.

V8, given your name, I imagine you are aware that Ford modular V8 engines are particularly susceptible to damage if the spark plugs are not properly torqued into the aluminum heads. Or how about if the plastic intake manifold needs to be replaced and you don't want to crack the replacement. A decent torque wrench is required for those jobs as well as many others...

6. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    plastic intake?... the only v8 i've owned was a high output 5.0 when i had my 87 mark VII. the "gt40" aluminum intake never gave me problems. after new bushings at 110k miles it ran well... 18mpg well.. shrug...

i should be using a torque wrench...

i had my mechanic pull the codes and clear the lights. nothing out of the ordinary.. it was funny to see him reading the codes off in the same order we were pulling wires to see which cylinder was misfiring.. haha... it even tells the difference between a misfire and a coil unplug... he was also surprised by my prius having 3 computers...

7. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ... oh yeah.. Patrick...where's the love man? ;)

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm trying to demonstrate that by offering ideas to help with your Prius. It sounds like it is well on its way to recovery now, so I'll leave you to it. :cool:

Based on your screen name, I erroneously thought you might have owned a Mustang Cobra in the past with the DOHC 4.6 V8 engine. (If you think about it, this is a strange product name: a horse combined with a snake.)

9. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    old screen name... as in.. 12 years old... shrug either way, you're right.. it's based off that car.

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The "modular" Ford V8's use composite intakes, unless you put on an aftermarket high performance intake manifold, which are usually aluminum. The "modular" V8's have a "dry" intake

The 302 V8 had a "wet" intake manifold, coolant runs through it. Torque sequence is very important to prevent coolant seepage, especially at either end of the block.

The 302 has some important "gotcha's" to keep in mind. Those vintage Ford V8's adjust the valves with different length pushrods. If for any reason you have to pull a head, it's really important to build a jig and put the pushrods and rocker arms/springs in correct order

Another gotcha is to make sure to use replacement head bolts. That vintage Ford used torque-to-yield and if for any reason you have a head off, you will have nothing but trouble if you attempt to reuse the head bolts. The torque will never be right, and you will probably blow the new head gasket

I've had very good luck with ARP head bolts. If you intend to take the head off a lot, a stud kit is better. Speaking of heads, the best way to properly line up a 302 Ford head - this works for other V8's as well - is to take some old head bolts and cut the heads off.

Turn them into temporary studs. Put two of them in, one on each lower corner of the block. Then slip the head gasket on, then the head. You never have to worry about a head gasket slipping around

The 5.3 Vortec in my 2000 GMC Sierra had a dry composite intake. Almost every modern V8 that I know of, had a "dry" intake manifold