1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine missing on my Gen 3

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by leese, Jun 3, 2018.

1. leese

leese Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I need some advice please. A year ago my prius acted like it had a miss at idle and at low speed acceleration about a month after I had the plugs replaced. I can really notice it when I go really slow on an incline. My local Toyota dealer replaced the EGR valve and brought in a factory rep, they said there was no engine code and unless I want to buy a new engine I would have to live with it. The problem is usually worse in the summer. I was told by another Toyota mechanic that I may have a bad plug so I had another set put in a week ago. All my coolant levels have always been great and still bright red so I don't think it is a head gasket issue. I do use about a quart of oil every 2000 miles or so and use more if I do allot of highway driving. Other than that it has been a great car. So if anyone can please give me some type of a fix I would appreciate it.

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    This sounds like your egr circuit and intake manifold will have carbon deposits in them:(.

Installing an oil catch can will also help prevents light components from collecting in the intake and causing knock:).

But they can be cleaned to remove the deposits and get your Prius running well;).

I’d look in the Gen3 maintenance section for the @NutzAboutBolts videos to help with those next steps:).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  3. Maarten28

Maarten28 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If your engine is missing you should go and find it! Try the last place you saw it and then work your way forward from it. :p

Mendel Leisk and Grit like this.
  4. leese

leese Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :) I tried changing the title after I posted it and it wouldn't let me. Thanks for the advice I will try it.

5. leese

leese Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks Ray, the nutzaboutbolts videos are great. I think that's exactly what is wrong with it. The oil usage has clogged the manifold ports. It makes sense. I will keep you in the loop

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's an obscurely named button around the initial post, will allow edit of title. There's maybe a day or so time limit, and maybe restrictions on how many posts you've got?

Barring that, you can "report" it (another button, below the first post) alerts the moderators, and in the explanation field request a title change.

leese likes this.