1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine noise after running over rock in Mts of NM

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by EE1, Aug 13, 2011.

1. EE1

EE1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We were driving on mt highway and ran over rock. Had the undercarriage checked immediately and mechanic spotted the mark inches from transmission but said all was fine. Last evening the engine began to run very rough and loud particularly when not accelerating; true even when idling/parked. Also noticing a small rattle that is infrequent and disassociated with any consistent pattern.
    We are in Taos Ski valley at about 8k elevation. Still have two weeks of vacation driving ahead of us.
    Clues?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check the engine oil level, the radiator coolant level, and all other engine compartment fluids. Look under the car for exhaust system damage.

If you see no obvious problem, visit a local Toyota dealer for help before you continue your trip. Good luck.

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you are coming through Santa Fe, please feel free to pay a visit to my man cave. I pm'd you.

4. EE1

EE1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you. I did check and all are fine. Will peer under carriage in the AM, though up on the lift the attending mechanic told my wife that he thought all was well. Perhaps something worked loose since his inspection. Many thanks for your response. Much appreciated.

5. EE1

EE1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, thank you for both responses. I will be in touch as we might be faced with a trip to Santa Fe this coming Monday. Laying low until necessary. I will be in touch through your other address. Thanks.