1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Noise with Audio Clip -

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sas0611, Jul 10, 2017.

1. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys and gals. I have recorded an audio only clip that I'd appreciate feedback on. My wife and I both have 08 Prius. Mine at 135k hers at 165K. Mine seems to be getting louder with regard to tapping and pinging. In inspection mode her's and mine sound about the same but mine under load and acceleration gets a bit noisy while hers does not when both have heated up. Her's sounds like mine however until hers warms up ? When car is in park and I push gas pedal to raise RPM's it does not sound pingy or tappy.

Have a listen.

I listened to the bottom of the engine and top with a mechanic stethoscope. Not hearing anything different (ie knocking) or frightening on the lower side of engine ( just same thing I hear on top side). My waterpump is going to be replaced and it is orginal. In past it has leaked but not for a while. Listening with stethoscope it does emit a metalic repeating tone and may be worse I'm guessing under real driving as opposed to in inspection mode. The pulley above the water pump sound similar except louder than the pump (retensioner pulley ?).

Lastly - I have hooked up VCI cable with diag software and the car is not throwing any codes. The first few minutes of the first time I hooked it up. I saw a misfire on cylinder 2 and 4. They did not persist or generate a code and have driven about 40 miles under all kinds of conditions without seeing that again.

Spark plugs are going to be replace. They are original.
    Thanks in advance.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is this the right video?

3. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah it was just an audio but youtube needed it to be a video

4. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Replace the spark plugs and when you pull them out take a look at the old ones and see if you note any differences between each one. If there are major differences between them it can point to different things (eg. leaking oil in one cylinder).

If the Prius ECU is detecting misfires or almost misfires, I'd imagine its response is to retard timing to protect the engine, similar to what the engine does when it is cold and in open-loop mode, which could explain the sound difference (lots of other things could cause this too). First place to look in addressing misfires is spark plugs, then ignition coils, fuel injectors, then check engine compression, etc.

The spark plugs should have been replaced at 120k, so my guess is just doing that you'll notice an improvement.