1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ron63, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Ron63

Ron63 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2009 Prius has a knocking noise when engine at operating temperature...only occasionally..most of the time its quiet. It does it under acceleration and very audible inside the car. No engine lights are on and everything is working fine otherwise. Does anyone have an idea what it might be? Thanks

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is your gas mileage ok? Does engine power seem less or unchanged?

3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Is the engine oil l correct? Has it been very low at some point?

If it's only rarely it could be misfiring but not often enough that it would set a code. You could check misfire monitor wirth scan tool to check this. New plugs or coils would probably fix that.

If it's pinging you could try higher octane fuel. If it would stop if it was that.

4. Ron63

Ron63 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes it gets great gas mileage and the power is unchanged

Yeah I made sure it had the correct oil in it and I checked it...it was still full I'm wondering about the octane of gas for it...Utah regular unleaded is 85 octane...may be too low

#4 Ron63, Aug 27, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2020
  5. Ron63

Ron63 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I might also put new plugs and coils in it...I know the former owner took good care of it and always had dealer service done to it...I bought the car about a year ago..I believe the maintenance book said the plugs and coils were replaced about 12,000 miles ago

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wish I knew why no one can post the miles on there car on this CAR FORUM.

But always having the dealer do its service is a death sentence to the engine. Thats why the engine is knocking. Its got a blown bottom end.
    It ran out of oil because the previous owner never checked it. Why should he its DEALER maintained!

I never have to open the hood whoopie!

Because the dealer never checks it when the car rolls in. they just dump it then over fill it with the worlds crappiest oil.

And now its a heavy oil eater.

2 reasons why people sell there G2 and most have the same 2 and that's bad hybrid battery and engine eats alot of oil.

man we see this over and over and over again.

Do this join this website:

toyota.com/owners

Have your insurance card handy as it will ask you for the cars vin. When joined you can see every single time the car has seen an authorized toyota dealer for service and what they did to it. You may find out why the car was sold.

PriusCamper and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  7. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just a thought, check engine water pump..
    The bearing maybe going bad, hence why you only hear it occasionally.. if bad, you will hear it all the time... But, just a thought..

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. Ron63

Ron63 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I signed up....shows just regular maintenance performed...front brakes replaced about 8,000 miles ago. It showed 153,000 miles on it when the previous owner last maintained it...I got it at 154,000

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok good.

We see so many big estimate at the dealer vehicles here the guy then turns around and sells it. Especially with the hybrid battery's failing left and right now.

Go on youtube and search

prius Inspection

it will show you how to put the car in inspection mode and then engine will idle continuously until you shut it off giving you a chance to listen to it. Both top and bottom. This requires some experience with engines so don't know your level of diagnosis.