1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine number prefix different on engine vs. documents?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Mohammed Riza, Aug 7, 2021.

1. Mohammed Riza

Mohammed Riza New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    I recently bought a used Toyota Prius 2010 from a dealer. The engine number of the car as per the Service & Warranty book, vehicle history confirmation certificate, dealer's invoice etc. starts with 1ZX followed by a 7 digit number.
    However, the number on the engine starts with 2ZR followed by the 7 digit number. The 7 digit numbers are the same on the engine and all the documents, but the prefixes aren't (2ZR vs. 1ZX).

Can someone confirm if this is expected? The 2ZR prefix is embossed on the engine in bigger text compared to the 7 digit number - so I am not exactly sure if that should be read along with the 7 digit number which is embossed in (relatively) smaller text.

What does it mean if the prefixes are different but the 7 digits that follow it are the same?

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I suspect you are talking about what we call the vin numbers on the car. Typically in the US the sequence number is the last six of the vin. UK is likely different. In the US the vin is also on the engine with a stick on label while the engine block has another sequence number stamped into it. On a 2010 Prius I would not worry about it. Sounds like yours are original.

DC61CE29-7CD2-458D-99D5-E20F1221313E.jpeg

Mohammed Riza likes this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know enough to answer your question, but have you signed up with your VIN# on Toyota Owner's website to verify the vehicle's maintenance history?

Mohammed Riza likes this.
  4. Mohammed Riza

Mohammed Riza New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Thanks @rjparker. There are two numbers provided in the dealer's invoice and other documents.
    1. VIN / Chassis /Frame No : This is the 17 digit string code that you have described. This matches exactly with what is on the vehicle. So no problems here.
    2. Engine number : 1ZX******* (in all documents) but 2ZR******* embossed on the engine. The last seven digits of the engine numbers in the documents and on the engine are the same, but the first three characters are different (1ZX vs. 2ZR).

@PriusCamper - Thanks. Basis your suggestion, I have registered on the Toyota UK owner's website. I was able to get details of the vehicle's service history.

PriusCamper likes this.
  5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    On our gen3s the 2ZR sequence number is not the same as the vin. A separate stick on label has the vin. EEFF891E-7FB8-4260-B8A9-2B7037144214.jpeg

burrito likes this.
  6. Maarten28

Maarten28 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota does not have a 1ZX type engine. I imagine it is some kind of mistake. I don't know if it is common in the UK to have the engine number in the documents, maybe used for warranty purposes, but I would talk to the dealer about it.
    The engine in a Prius is a 2ZR engine, so that number on the engine is correct.