1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Oil and filter

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by hajimers, Dec 28, 2015.

1. hajimers

hajimers New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This is probably discussed before, can someone please point me to a 2014 Prius PHEV compatible aftermarket oil filter which I can buy in Amazon cost-effectively? And which 0W-20 is good for the Prius based on experience?

Thanks.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you should be fine with mobil 1.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wouldn't dismiss the dealership parts department as a source, without at least asking. Ours (in Canada) is selling Toyota 0W-20 currently for $5.91 per liter (was $5.63 for years, finally went up a bit) and the Toyota oil filter element for $8.53. They have the drain bolt washer for $1.73, bit of a rip. All prices in Canadian dollars.

When I'm going to be doing an oil change soon, I just swing by the dealership, get all the items required for one change, on a single bill. Makes for a nice paper trail, especially if you're registered at the dealership, the purchases are on their record as well.

5. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I run Mobile 1 and change the oil only once per year, although I've had my car for less than 1 year so far. Brand of oil really isn't that important to me, but I do prefer a full synthetic since I have extended drain intervals.

Amazon has a tool to check compatibility of your vehicle. Simply specify what vehicle you are shopping for and every item will display if it is compatible or not, and a link will be available to shop only items that are compatible. An even better method is to go directly to the manufacturers website and look up the part number for your make / model of vehicle. Then search that PN on Amazon.

I prefer Purolator filters since they are often cheaper than Fram, and of better quality.

These 2 filters turned up in an Amazon search:

EDIT- Links are blocked for some reason.

#5 Redpoint5, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    mmmodem likes this.
  6. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I also use Purolator filters not because I prefer them or anything. They're just cheap on Amazon and they work. I started with Mobil 1, then Valvoline and now I am using Mag1 all purchased on Amazon.

Every time I change, I am always amazed by the color and quantity of the oil that comes out. I've changed a lot of oil in my time as I used to drive 70k miles a year as a courier and I currently put 30k a year on my PiP. The color or the oil is typically black but out of the PiP it still has a translucent orange hue. Is this a property of synthetic oil? I also expect maybe half a quart of usage but I'm at 90k miles now and nothing noticeable.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Search & you may find a coupon or rebate on a jug of Mobil1 or Valvoline.

8. kenichols29

kenichols29 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use the toyota filters they are about $5.75 at my dealer and I use Mobil 1 EP Synthetic. I got a good deal on about 45 quarts about a year ago (already used half) for $2 a, quart. I was at my local walmart yesterday and they had a 5 quart jug of it for $27.