1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine oil cap and coolant question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by IHellsent, Mar 5, 2017.

1. IHellsent

IHellsent New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello everyone,

My gf recently bought a used 2008 prius with 100,000 miles. It runs fine but i have a few questions.

The engine oil cap has some brown smudge on it. If i look inside it is also brown. Is this normal? It also had some steam coming out (just a little) here are some pics. [​IMG][​IMG]

I checked the engine coolant (gas engine coolant) and it is pink. The electric engine coolant is also pink. Is this normal? Thank you

LGMS428 ?

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bought look normal. Prius (gen 2 (2004) and after) uses Toyota super long life coolant (SLLC for short) (which is Pink) for bought cooling systems.

Check for that all routine maintenance is done. Keep your eye on oil level (some Priuses burn a bit of oil). Change the transmission fluid if not done (no for flushing). Clean the hybrid battery fan.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably dealer serviced with vat oil. Go to Walmart buy 5 quart jug of 10-30 Mobil 1 for $23. And dealer oil filter for $4. Get that oil changed, with new filter it takes exactly 3.5 quarts.

Go to Toyota.com/owners and join there online forum. Enter the cars vin.
    You will see every time the car has been serviced at any authorized Toyota dealer.
    It will give you a sense of how the well or how little the car has been serviced.

Btw you can use it as your own service log too as you can enter your own data to it,

The dealer monitors it. Every time I enter personal service on that site I get a robo call from the dealer with service requests. And then I get coupons in the mail. C'mon down let us swing at your car at $140 an hour all afternoon
    Lol......

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh and no matter what u think it looks like change the water pump belt in the front if the engine. It's easy if your handy. It's only job is to turn the engine water pump. Belt breaks no water flow in engine engine overheats blows head gasket. NO temp gauge you'll never know it's overheating till check engine light comes on and by then motor damaged.

Bad design. Easily mitigated by $10 belt.

fotomoto likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've been getting bulk Toyota 0W20 oil at the dealership for a few years now. It is the same oil as their bottled, without the burden of contaminated oil containers. That's all.

6. IHellsent

IHellsent New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks for the input. I'll change the oil and filter. I'll also change the water pump belt. Any particular belt brand i should buy?

LGMS428 ?

7. Currahee

Currahee Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Recommend getting the filter and belt at a Toyota parts department.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recommend you follow Currahee's advice ......or he'll make you run up a very big hill....