1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine oil change with dealer, need advice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by msg7086, Oct 18, 2019.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If I ever get too old to change my own oil, I'll have a difficult decision to make. I never let anyone else change my oil.

cyberpriusII, GabrielD and nssdiver like this.
  2. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Buy an Outback. The most dead simple oil change ever if you put on a drain valve. Filter is on top the engine. You can slide under it without lifts.

At my local garage, an ASE-certified mechanic does the oil change. At the dealership, I would not be surprised if one of the lot rats do it in between washing cars.

You are overstressing on this. Just get the oil changed, it will be fine.

#22 cyberpriusII, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    jerrymildred likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i haven't changed my oil in 35 years. no major catastrophes, but i often have to siphon off the overfill

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hope you have a tool for that. I siphoned oil once the old fashioned way. I spent the rest of the day spitting and it took about two days to get the taste out of my mouth. :oops:

nssdiver, Merkey and bisco like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did that with gas once :eek:

Have a great little craftsman pump, takes just a few minutes

Mendel Leisk, Merkey and jerrymildred like this.
  6. msg7086

msg7086 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

What do you think? (Measured @ cold and dark.)

7. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Better still, by then BEV with longer ranges are affordable and charge stations plentiful. I hope.

8. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What does the other side look like? Sometimes, both sides of the stick are at the same level. But for MY Prius, it always seems that one side of the stick is at one level and the other side is at a different level.

Rule of thumb is you go by the lowest level. If the picture represents the lowest level and it was measured after the car has sat for at least five minutes (personally, I only measure after it sits overnight), then it is overfilled. But not horrible. I would not worry about it, but then it is not my car. Your mileage may vary, your oil level may vary. My advice is worth what you paid me for it.

In other words, it is your car and your decision. Just because I wouldn't worry doesn't mean I am right.

The following information is available all over the internet and most mechanics say the same thing these guys do, but I like Tom and Ray, so I will post their link -- by the way -- I agree with previous sentiments about your stress level on this issue. Life is short. Relax.

Blog Post | Could overfilling with oil damage my engine? | Car Talk

Merkey and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. msg7086

msg7086 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Steve. I don't know maybe it's language barrier, but I'm not stressed on this issue. To me, if there's a chance I can improve it, and if it won't cost much, I'd choose the better way. Otherwise, I'd leave it as is.

I'm new on car maintenance, and I don't have anyone around to ask (my parents are at the other side of the earth), thus I'd like to read, to ask, to learn, and then to share.

The oil level is measured at "cold and dark" condition (sitting still overnight), and both side says the same. I'm not worrying about it damaging anything, but would like to hear opinions from you. You know, if they overfilled it, on my next visit I can probably point out. Or if they overfill it on purpose to prevent oil burning. Or other fluid leaks into oil, etc.

I appreciate all the inputs. I learned a lot from you.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The difference between top and bottom marks is (roughly) 1.5 quarts; that's maybe a pint overfill.

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since you say that both sides read the same, I would suggest draining out around a pint of oil.

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The dipstick looks about a 1/2 quart overfilled. That's a classic dealer oil change using a pneumatic pump which is notoriously inaccurate to pump out crappy tank oil. They always pump in some more to make sure its not under filled. The worst possible oil you can put in your car.
    Lots of cars on this site with overfilled dealer oil changes. Some it stalled out the engine down the street.

Synthetic oil is 100% better in all regards to dino oil.

Go to Walmart buy a jug of Mobil 1 5-30 100% synthetic for $25. Jug is 5 quarts.

My bought new 07 has had its oil changed about 26 times so far. By me. With a new filter it takes 3.6 quarts. If I need the oil changed and don't feel like doing it I take it to the Jiffy down the road. I give them exactly 3.6 quarts of oil either by draining out 1.4 quarts out of the M1 jug or filling up 4 quart bottles. That way they cannot under any circumstances f it up. I stand there and watch them and wave them off everything but the oil change. With a coupon the labor is $20. Takes 10 minutes.

I have about 140,000 miles on my car. It started to eat oil very slightly at around 120,000 miles so I moved up to a 40 weight oil. last 60,000 miles I moved to Redline Oil 5-30 which tends to turn into a 40 weight oil at temp. It also has a good ZDDP package which really quiets down the solid lifter motor. It stopped my oil loss completely. Very high performance oil. Engine runs really well on it.

if your car is eating oil move up to a 5-40 weight oil. keep it at the top mark on the dipstick always.

Here's 60,000 miles on Redline pictures:

Attached Files:

msg7086 likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't know where to begin, will just keep stumph.

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Begin like you always do with a Honda quote. Or how great the donuts are at your dealer.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hey that donut shot was someone else, lol.

16. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Doughnuts....mmmm.....I would do anything for an apple fritter -- opps -- forgot I am on a "guys" forum. I will do window cleaning for an apple fritter...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

And, yes, call me sexist, but, just a guess, but aren't about 92 percent of posters male -- just a WAG.:rolleyes:

jerrymildred likes this.