1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine oil cooler?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Morgan F, Apr 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Inverter has a cooler, no?

2. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yes, I'm aware of the first 3 gens having oem coolers but some have added additional cooling when autocrossings or other strenuous driving is occurring and inverter temps get above normal. The gen 2 landspeed Prius that was built by TRD and a crew ran additional cooling as well.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. mswtoyota

mswtoyota Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, you can control the battery cooling fan with Torque. Just add a custom PID:
    Name:BatteryCoolingFanSpeed ShortName:SFS ModeAndPID:3081000X Equation:A Min:0 Max:0 Units:No reply required Header:7.00E+03
    Replace X from the PID above with the fan speed you want (1-6: eg 30810006 will run the fan on the highest speed), and add the gauge to the current display. Whenever you are on that page, the fan will run at the speed you set. Unfortunately, you cannot use the toggle button built into Torque, as the command has to be repeatedly sent for the fan to stay running. If you scroll off of the page with that gauge, then the fan reverts to being controlled by the car as always.

Justdidit likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Running the fan after the car shuts down, say for 5 minutes, and only with high battery temps, that'd be good.

5. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It wouldn't be fully automated, but if the battery is hot enough for its fan to run, one could keep the car in "READY" mode for those 5 minutes after parking. I did that for only maybe half a minute a few times last summer. Usually the fan speed was so slow (as in inaudible or barely audible with everything else off), that I hoped it wasn't critical.

That's a very different issue from additional engine oil cooling, which likely isn't needed except in extreme and unusual circumstances.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. toyotechwv

toyotechwv Toyota Technician

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And I intend to add another inverter cooler to my '15. That one^^^^ worked fair at best. Didn't achieve the results I wanted. It needed it's own fan. A motorcycle fan mounted to it would've been perfect and may be what I do next time. Or I may add a 1st gen HV radiator as I did on my 2nd gen car. Things get quite warm when you autox.

SM-G900V ?

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Or just run cooler spark plugs?

Or, just stay right and obey speed limits.

9. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    As I understand it, he is autocrossing, a form of racing where only one driver at a time competes. "Autocross courses are typically one to two kilometres long and tend to place demands on car handling and driver skill rather than on engine power and outright speed. Due to the nature of a typical track, speeds can be slower when compared to other forms of motorsports, usually not exceeding highway speeds," - Autocross - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So he is racing but not at high speed and may not get cool down laps.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Morgan is possibly doing some speeding on the highway...

But the rest of us are possibly doing some speeding off the highway as well - but my concern is more of keeping the oil and inverter coolant temps down regardless of being on the highway or track.

11. toyotechwv

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In my case, heat soak between runs is an issue. You make a run, 45-60 seconds, then you sit while the other cars in your class make their runs. Then back to you, typically get 3 or 4 runs. To top off the HV battery between runs I force charge, which builds heat in the HV system. Also, the many times at WOT on course also builds heat in the system. The ICE stays relatively cool but I've seen inverter temps above 130 degrees and climbing between runs. I run the HV fan on high but minus a bag of ice on the inverter (yep done it) I haven't found an effective way to keep inverter temps noticeably cooler. The unit I used in the picture in one of the earlier posts was just a heater core from a Corolla plumbed after the OEM inverter radiator.

SM-G900V ?

#31 toyotechwv, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    Justdidit likes this.
  12. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    that's not gonna help.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    toyotechwv likes this.
  14. toyotechwv

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's an AWESOME price. That would be large enough in addition to the original that it should dissipate heat well without an additional fan.

SM-G900V ?