1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

engine oil went dry

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Kimoy, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Kimoy

Kimoy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi!
    I don't know if this has been posted already and if it was I am sorry for posting it again, I couldn't find anything similar.
    Does anyone ever experienced their engine oil went dry after about 5000 miles after an oil change? This happened to me for the past 10k miles. I mean when you pull the dip stick out there is no oil in it. I guess I was lucky my engine didn't knock. There is no evidence of any leak on the engine, no oil found in my garage floor either.
    Right now the dealer is doing an "Oil Consumption study" on my car. They want me to return after 1,200 miles to recheck the oil.
    2010 Prius III
    75,230 miles
    all oil change done at 10,000 miles intervals (except for the last 10,000 - oil change @ 70,000 miles and again at 74,895 miles due to engine oil being dry)
    all scheduled maintenance intervals are done thru the dealer @ 5,000 miles intervals

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I noticed my 2010 burned a little bit of oil also, but not at the rate you are mentioning. It's very disturbing to think your car with only 75k miles would burn that much oil that quickly, especially having the dealer service the car every 5000 miles (where they should check the oil level).

I'm not sure what you can do at this point, your car will most likely continue to burn oil. You just have to pay attention to the oil level yourself and don't rely on the dealer to do so. Buy a small funnel and some oil and keep it in your garage to top off the engine when needed.

According to Toyota, an engine that burns 1 qt of oil every 600 miles is still considered "normal". So this test that the dealer is doing, really won't do anything for you. They will just let you know your engine is burning oil and that's that!

milkman44, cwerdna and TsKarma like this.
  3. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I check mine after every service and roughly every month.

The dealer may not have fully filled the oil, your car may be burning oil (indicating an issue) or maybe a filter failed.

Always worth checking oil regularly, even on a new car. 2 minutes every month is better than a bill for a new engine. If you have a Mrs, then check her oil too and keep in her good books (worth every penny!).

Priusguy78213 and SageBrush like this.
  4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "According to Toyota, an engine that burns 1 qt of oil every 600 miles is still considered "normal"."

JC91006...Could you please provide a link to where this statement was made by Toyota, I would be very interested.

5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe, as they say, it's NORMAL for Toyota.

But, for me, it is NOT.

6. kensiko

kensiko Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    II
    FYI mine is almost 120000 miles and doesn't burn an ounce of oil for 10000 km.

Feri likes this.
  7. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Check that dip stick EVERY time you have to buy gasoline.

I would think that it is likely that damage has been done by letting the engine oil get so low as to not be visible on the stick twice now between changes that the dealer could say that it was your fault for not being vigilant. I wouldn't want you to give them some wiggle room in escaping any help that you might be able to get with Toyota either replacing or repairing your engine.

Good luck,
    Roland

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Here you go......this is like going into court, evidence in hand.

[​IMG]
    The 3rd Generation Prius (2010-2011+) is sold with ToyotaCare, a "complimentary maintenance plan" that is intended to ensure your 3rd generation Prius has "worry-free" maintenance for 2 years or 25,000 miles (whichever comes first).
    Here's why you should be worried about this maintenance plan:
    It includes only 2 oil changes, each at 10k mile intervals, and 4 tire rotations -- a $200 value! The primary "worry eliminator" during these services is the utmost important, #1 item on the maintenance checklist: "Check Installation of driver's floor mat." At least your floor mat will be installed properly when your engine potentially runs out of oil.
    Whatever happened to the 3000 mile interval oil change? Clearly the manufacturers know best, they make the cars! It is true, changing the oil every 3000 may be excessive in terms of the functional life of the oil. However, our main consideration is the loss of oil due to natural consumption. Just to remind everyone: the Toyota Prius still uses an internal combustion engine, which operates under the same assumptions that the Model T did, and therefore is subject to the same mechanical wear-and-tear that all other vehicles suffer from. If you reference your 2010 Prius Owner's Manual, you will find an interesting tidbit on acceptable oil consumption:
    Section 4-3 (p428)[​IMG]Engine oil consumption
    • The amount of engine oil consumed depends on the oil viscosity, the quality of the oil and the way the vehicle is driven.​
    • More oil is consumed under driving conditions such as high speeds, frequent acceleration and deceleration.​
    • A new engine consumes more oil​
    • When judging the amount of oil consumption, keep in mind that the oil may have become diluted, making it difficult to judge the true level accurately.​
    • Oil consumption: Max = 1.1qt / 600miles
    • If the vehicle consumes more than 1.1qt every 600 miles, contact your Toyota dealer [so they can sell you a new motor][​IMG]

9. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Judging from the numerous posts on this subject, oil consumption is a problem in both gen 2 and 3. Not sure of gen 1. I find it interesting as the Otto versions of those Atkinson engines are NOT known for oil consumption. There must be something intrinsic to the Atkinson guts. My vote is on low tension rings to squeeze more MPG. What's yours?

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My feeling is the oil being a 0w 20 oil that's the issue. A 5w 30 oil will be better. However the gen3 is designed for 0w 20. Not sure if you should switch to a thicker 30 weight oil

SM-N900P ?

tankyuong likes this.
  11. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Counter points:
    Toyota has a number of engines using 0W20 with no oil consumption.
    Furthermore, gen 2 used 5W30 with similar oil consumption issues.

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I'm sure there are many other reasons why this is happening. Warmer climate vs. colder climate can be a big reason. Going from dino oil to synthetic at higher mileage (say 75k). Switching from 0w-30 to 0w-20 synthetic. Human error in filling oil level, etc. Any possibly many more.

There are many threads that discuss this but really no real study on why. If everything is constant from day 1, there could be study done on why this occurs. There has to be a scientific reason for it, some burn, some don't.....it just doesn't happen for no reason.

13. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    10,000 OCI means: 10,000 mile oil CHANGE interval; NOT, 10,000 mile oil CHECK interval.

alekska and frodoz737 like this.
  14. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I really like the fact that the ToyotaCare logo shows a KEY being dropped into a waiting paw, instead of a fob.

Anyway....
    The good news is that your engine oil pan had oil in it.
    The fact that there wasn't any oil on the stick when you checked it could mean many things, but for the purposes of this discussion we'll presume that the reading (or lack thereof) on the stick is accurate.
    What you were observing is what we called a "low out of spec: or even a "low out of sight" reading...meaning that there was still a few quarts left in the sump.
    My guess is that you've been either burning or leaking oil for quite a while now......and depending on the severity of the underlying problem, then you've probably shortened your motor's life considerably.....but since these motors can easily knock down 250,000 miles if properly maintained????
    You might reduce that service life by half and still have 50,000 more miles remaining before you have to sweat it.
    If you were REALLY low on oil, then a little "change owner" light would illuminate somewhere on the instrument panel.
    They are sometimes referred to as idiot lights for reasons that I will leave to the reader's fertile imagination. ;)
    Since the Prius lacks proper gauges then it's a little more important to regularly check your oil volume at least semi-occasionally....or?
    Not.
    Depending on how many years you want to keep the car, and whether or not you like the fact that the oil is going "somewhere." (i.e. into the C.C. or the air) this is either a trivial or a non-trivial problem.

If you're having to put a quart of oil into the car every other tank?
    You're probably going to trade it in.
    Priuses that are sold in states that require a VET either get a dispensation due to the fact that they're (*cough!!*) a "clean" vehicle, or they get auctioned off to be sold in states that do not require a VET.

Either way?
    Since you're knocking down about 25,000 miles a year?
    You probably have a few years before you see a blue haze behind your car and people start mean-mugging you when you accelerate from a stop light, and since Illinois does have a VET, you're probably going to kill your CAT or otherwise fail to pass the test in a year or two anyway.
    I'm a little suspicious of this "oil consumption test" and I believe that I would regard the possibility that it's a "vehicle replacement encouragement" program from your friendly Toyota Dealership.

Good Luck!

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  15. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If someone barely checks the oil to the point that it runs dry, then the chances are they allowed it to go almost as far before causing hidden damage. Once an engine has been run low or lower than recommended it's knackered. It'll run, it'll start and stop but it'll burn oil like it's going out of fashion and will die prematurely. Seen it done many many times in the taxi trade. Sometimes you fall lucky, but mostly you won't.

Two ways this could go;

1, The op could accept his negligence and ensure they check oil regularly like the manual says and like anyone with a car knows you should.

2, Blame everyone else, call in the lawyers, kick up a stink and take 2 years off their life with the stress of it all.

Who's gonna open a book on which way this'll go? :sneaky:

Tony D, Britprius and edthefox5 like this.
  16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

I'm gonna say the OP should just keep an eye on the oil level. Topping off the oil every once in a while will only cost you a few dollars in between changes. No need to sweat it prematurely.

milkman44 and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  17. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I can't believe that this went almost 15 posts before someone actually told him that his engine was NOT dry and completely out of oil. When that happens, alarm lights go off and the engine melts down fairly quickly if you don't stop.

The immediate solution here is to CHECK THE OIL YOURSELF at least once a week; the every time you put in gas suggestion is good too.

Using a qt. and a half over 5000 miles is NOT excessive.
    Because of manufacturing "tolerances" some might do that when brand new.

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I didn't really take his meaning as actually "dry engine" but rather little or no oil on the dipstick.

Kinda saying "I'm broke" when you have 20 bucks in the bank. You're not really broke.

19. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a common knowledge and everyone assumed OP exaggerated.

20. Blegate

Blegate Prius Gen III 2013

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This oil consumption matter really has peaked by interest. I just traded in a Gen II with 130K with the oil problem for a new Gen III. It appears the Gen III with the 0-20w oil is prone to this problem as well. I've never come across a post that clearly states why this engine (in a Gen II or III) is experiencing oil consumption < 100K. BTW, mine showed up about 110K. I've read all the theories but no smoking gun. If anyone has any insight please share. Also trust me I've read all of the posts re: Oil consumption on this site.