1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

engine oil went dry

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Kimoy, Mar 7, 2014.

1. MattNiem

MattNiem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, if ICE sits unused for a long time, there could occur corrosion / piston ring jamming to cylinder wall. These modern engines have different coatings on the rings and cylinder walls which might prevent that though, and maybe there's some magic in the factory's oil fill too..

2. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ... with at least 80K miles? My impression is that most oil-guzzling complaints seem to show up between 100K and 200K.

3. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Same here---so far, at almost 50,000 miles. I'm not confident that's a good omen for long-term health of an engine. Conventional wisdom says it's not.

4. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Bingo. Prius is a typical Toyota. It is built to high standards and unit production quality is consistent. You can walk onto any Toyota new car lot and buy one without worrying about whether a particular car is a "good one".

However, owners are not consistent in how they well they maintain their cars. There is a misconception that Prius needs less maintenance because it is a hybrid. Prius is just like any other car. Maintain it well, it will serve you well; neglect it, and it will give you problems.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think the misconception comes from the owners manual, unless people aren't even changing their oil at 10k intervals because it's a hybrid.

6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "Owner Manual :confused:...wasn't that in the glove box when we bought this thing?"..."But I add oil every time the oil light comes on, well maybe after a couple of days"..."I'm a busy person and don't time, besides I have better things to do than sit around for hours at overpriced Sealerships that just rip you off for things that aren't needed."..."But today's oils and engines are far superior to that stuff from the 70"s and can take it"..."But you get worse mpg if you change it to soon"...and on and on and on.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all true. you're thinking people who are burning oil at 130,000 miles didn't maintain it properly?

8. Priusguy78213

Priusguy78213 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, I've learned with other cars in the past. ALWAYS check vital things like the oil yourself. Even if you think the dealer did or was supposed to check all fluid levels. I had a Honda civic before the Prius. Took it to an oil change place. The drain plug apparently wasn't tightened enough. Luckily it was caught before I got too far. So yes, I give my car a thorough looking over before any out of town trip and also once a month no matter what. And yeah, just takes a sec to check the oil level and the coolant levels for the inverter and the gas engine when you're waiting for your gas tank to top off. Just get into that habit and it'll save you some grief.

alekska, GrumpyCabbie and bisco like this.
  9. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    More along the lines of: did not take the simple steps that would have prevented low oil episodes.

It took me a while to learn, but checking fluid and oil levels and tyre pressures once a month is a really, really good idea. Since I only exchange oil ~ once a year, the more frequent oil checks are (or should be) mandatory.

bisco likes this.
  10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    That is a good habit, although I prefer the monthly check at home since I have my bicycle pump and fluids nearby.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm changing oil on an '06 Civic, and am starting to suspect an issue with Honda's drain bolt washers. They're composite material, aluminum with a more compressible skin.

I KNOW I've torqued it to spec, then at next oil change it's practically loose!

Last time I was getting supplies at dealership I mentioned this, and the told me they also stock plain aluminum washers. That's what I got, will see how it goes. I'm suspecting the composite washers compress and lose the ability to spring back, due to heat or whatever.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    How can it 'spring back' if the bolt is tight against it ?

I would be nervous too though, if I found a loose oil bolt. Perhaps your torque wrench is inaccurate and it would be prudent to give an extra half turn or so.

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What I meant: the compressible layer might be compressing, and then shrinking away more, over time. It's definitely loosish. That's not much better description, is it, lol. Anyway, my take is to get solid aluminum washers, if available.

I've got a couple of torque wrenches, a 3/8" and a 1/2". I've "tested" them both, by hooking on a digital tensioning scale, one foot from the fulcrum, with the wrenches on a wheel lug nut already torqued and on the car, both torque wrenches set to around 45 lb/ft. Both seemed to click at around the correct the value (displaying on the scale). I think they're both in-the-neighbourhood.

14. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Most likely cause is the threads on either the oil pan or drain bolt are worn. Try a new drain bolt and run a tap into the drain plug hole to renew the threads. If that doesn't work, replace the oil pan. The drain plug washer is not the culprit.

SageBrush likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks Den, I'll keep that in mind. There's a solid aluminum washer in there now, and I think it's coming up for another change before not too long. I'll see what the solid washer does, if anything, then go from there.

16. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Another option is a kit to cut new threads into the existing oil pan, if it has enough metal, for a one size larger oil plug. A good repair shop can also do this for you. Good luck.

17. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Was it leaking? My "guess"...if it wasn't"...the plastic coating just formed to the mating surfaces reducing the initial tension, making reuse unwise. I have only received metal washers from my parts guy making me question whether you were given the correct item...like maybe someone threw them in the wrong bin. If you see no issue on your next change..no problem. If you determine your threads are stretched or stripped, stepping up and taping is an option best done off the car. You really don't want metal in there. As an added security, just rub a very-very thin film of RTV on both sides of your new washer (only) before reinstalling to make you feel better.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Honda's been using coated washers for at least a decade now. And whenever I ask for a washer at Toyo parts counter for the Prius they're also composite material, different though.

It's a comical sensation, when you get a socket on the drain bolt, gear up for the big push, then practically run your head into the oil pan.

Yeah I really suspect it's the Honda composite washers, losing their oomph, but will post.

19. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Comical is when you draw blood either way, to easy or to hard. Anyways...here's hoping you just limp wristed it last time and your pan is good.

20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I bought these earlier today.
    They look like Alu washers with a rubber coating.