1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine only MPG

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by Salamander_King, May 2, 2022.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I will be making a very similar ~300 miles (one way) trip this weekend. If the traffic is light enough, I should be able to add a few more data points with an EV ratio of 0%, the engine only MPG.

jerrymildred likes this.
  2. GregersonIT

GregersonIT Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Weird, my highway trips tend to average about 72-77mph and I typically average about 60-70mpg.

Salamander_King likes this.
  3. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, in this thread we are discussing engine-only MPG where there is absolutely no traction battery contributing to the car propulsion. Your statement of average 72-77mph and average 60-70mpg is not likely to be sustained speed above 72mph with an EV Driving ratio of 0% as shown in my case. Without that documentation, it is hard to say what real sustained speed and how much EV driving contributed to your final mpg.

upload_2022-6-4_21-32-20.png

#43 Salamander_King, Jun 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
  4. PianoBench

PianoBench Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    How accurate will individual testing be compared to a standardized test?

Compare Side-by-Side (fueleconomy.gov)

From just staring at the fuel cost estimates from fueleconomy.gov, it looks as if our Prime's are already very efficient compared to the latest battery electric vehicles.

So how valuable is our own data versus data from a government agency?

5. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The EPA test results apply just under that testing conditions. As all manufacturers caution, in real-life driving, Your Mileage May Vary. As far as the accuracy of the individual testing is concerned, it is as accurate as the instruments used. No more, no less. And the value of such data is only appreciated by those who are inquisitive enough to ask their own questions. It is probably not very valuable to the general population.

BTW, this thread is only concerned about MPG of Prus Prime under the situation when there is no traction battery contribution. In real-life driving, this does not happen often enough for most drivers including me. So, the value of data is even less important than the real-life MPG data on PPs such as the one you can find on the Fuelly. But as any owner of PP knows, the overall MPG on a PP has absolutely no meaning without knowing how much of that was driven on the EV mode. Yeah, for someone who drives less than 25 miles daily and charges every day, the lifetime average MPG is going to remain 999.9 MPG. How useful is that information? LOL

PianoBench likes this.
  6. GregersonIT

GregersonIT Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Well, without ev it's around 53-56mpg at those average speeds over a 72 mile one way commute.

I'm running on Defender tires and these two little vortex generators. Worst I've ever gotten was around 42mpg in ev mode but that was with a pretty extreme head wind with the tumble weeds blowing around the road. Still usually do 80-85mph for about 50 miles of that 72 miles.

Attached Files:

#46 GregersonIT, Jun 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    Salamander_King likes this.
  7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are doing that distance drive at that high speed for commuting, why don't you try recording some data for me? All you need to do is to reset one of the trip meters after your car reachs 75mph speed on the highway and keep it above 72mph without letting it slow down then take a photo of Trip data and mpg on the dash, as shown in my photo in #46. The hardest part is to keep the car's speed sustained above 72mph. A very short elapsed time would be hard to interpret, so a minimum of 30min is needed. If you can achieve an EV Driving Ratio of 0% for 30 min or longer then the mpg displayed would correspond to the engine-only MPG that I would like to find out. I caution you that it is very hard to keep the speed high enough and long enough so that the car does not go into EV. Any slow down below 72mph will trigger the EV to operate thus making use of the traction battery.

8. GregersonIT

GregersonIT Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Two lane road, eventually trucks merge over and slow me down to 60-65 in Ca. The interstate speeds are mixed overall speeds. But from a general slight uphill against the wind climb at that speed in the morning I'm averaging around 43-44mpg. Evenings I'm always getting cutoff at some point.