1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Oxidation/Rust 2013 Prius C

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sjarrellwade, Mar 18, 2016.

1. sjarrellwade

sjarrellwade New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hello!
    I am on the hook and trying to convince my husband to switch over to a Prius. We looked at a 2013 C today at a Ford dealership and are ready to go. However upon looking under the hood we noticed significant corrosion, oxidation and rust on the metal engine pieces. Is this something to be concerned about? Seems like its been sitting for about three months on this lot. We live in Virginia... Check out the photo and please let me know your thoughts.

I tried searching this issue and saw nothing, if you know of a forum with answers to my question please let me know.

Attached Files:

2. Lexcyn

Lexcyn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2012 Prius v and my engine looks similar. That inverter cover looks like water may have pooled in the "pockets" but that part can be replaced for about $20 - if there is salt on the roads during winter any non-treated metal parts will do this... our winters are particularly harsh with a lot of salt on the roads and I have pieces of metal in my engine that look even worse than this but it's still running fine!

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's very rusty looking, all the clips and clamps too. How the underhood environment could be that corrosive is a little fishy. Have a look under the rear bumper, at suspension components, and wheel wells too. Could be tip of the iceberg.

4. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'd be leery of this car. It might have been thru a flood and some corrosive liquids were left on the engine.

5. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I agree that this looks questionable for a 2013 model. I have a 2012 Prius C with about 40,000km and there's no sign of rust in the engine compartment as per the attached photo. The worst that can be said is that there's a very light film of oily dirt on the inverter. But it's worth noting that I live in Vancouver BC, but unlike the rest of Canada we get very little snow so this car has had minimal exposure to salted roads.

[​IMG]

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ That's a night-and-day difference. Something is going on with the OP's prospective vehicle.

7. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That looks bad, maybe its a been underwater? I have never seen any engine look like that. What does Carfax say? Also, what color is this car, as the cross members are painted black, is the car black?

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree with all ^^^ my engine bays have always looked pristine. move on and don't look back!

9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    First red flag...it's at a Ford Dealership. Secondly...something very wrong happened for the aluminum and steel components to have corroded and rusted that much on a 3 year old car. Let me fill you in on a little secret...shy of the hybrid components, most of the car has only up to 3yr/36,000 mile warranty...including the gas engine. Don't walk...run from this one.

10. Toppcat

Toppcat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Judging by the picture it looks like the e 2013 been in a regioN close to the coast like salt water oxidation. Any warranty? Carfax report, option to return toward another vehicle ?

11. JCW3

JCW3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I recently bought a 2013 Prius C in Virginia. Per the carfax and sales, it was a 1 owner and locally owned (in the mountainous area of VA). We looked at numerous different owned Prius, and all the VA cars seemed to have similar oxidation and rust. I feel it must be a reaction to the VA road treatments, but I am not sure.

The car we purchased was better than most, but I still felt it had a extreme amount of oxidation, and the struts shows more rust than I expected for a 2013. The odd part was, the rest of the car and engine bay was pristine.

I honestly feel it has to do something with the VA road treatments and the materials used by Toyota. But I have nothing scientific to back this up.

To me the oxidation looks normal, but it is odd that the hose clamps would be that rusted.

12. maddog61

maddog61 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 2012 and looks normal.... engine looks like it was detailed by dealer.,Take the c on a good run and make sure it runs ok and changes from motor to EV and check the fuel economy readings while driving..... check bottom of doors where the drains are for mud or debris, for flood damage, and if still worried have a Toyota check it over...... Good Luck

13. TC400

TC400 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 12 C and i live in PA which means salty roads. However, the only rust in my engine is on clamps and bolts. There is NO rust on the inverter.