1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine rattle after head gasket replaced

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by daveturnswrenches, Jan 7, 2023.

1. daveturnswrenches

daveturnswrenches New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Replaced the head gasket 15K miles ago. Did everything by the book, cleaned the EGR valve and cooler, intake manifold ports, used quality parts, new head bolts, followed all torque specs etc. New plugs, reused coil packs. Current mileage 287,284. Doesn’t burn oil! Suddenly after running like a champ I’m getting what sounds like the death rattle at cold startup. Coolant level has not changed. No codes unless I’m not letting it run long enough to trigger a misfire code. I shut it down when the rattle happens. Thoughts?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    were the head and block measured for warpage?

have you checked the plugs for fouling?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your injectors might be bad

4. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If it were me, I'd remove all the spark plugs and inspect them for a proper burn. Then, go from there.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    15k back would be 272k. That was the first time for EGR cleaning? What were the symptoms at that time? What did the inside of the EGR cooler look like? How about the small EGR passages on the intake manifold? Coolant disappearing?

If that was your first foray, it’s pretty amazing it made it that far. Was it an ex cab, or?

My “guess” would be the damper (between engine and transaxle), has broken springs. There’s an inspection window, a plastic panel you can access and remove from below.

Or aforementioned warpage of mating surfaces.

Or slightly bent piston arm.

Foxglove and PriusGuy32 like this.
  6. daveturnswrenches

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all he replies. When I did the job I put new plugs in, cleaned the EGR valve and cooler, cleaned the fool out of everything then cleaned some more to include the ports in the intake, had the head checked and decked. Reused the injectors with new seals. Fuel mileage has never gotten back to the average 49 and hovers around 40. Yesterday I topped the coolant off to be exactly on the full mark, could have been more than a couple of tablespoons. Now, chances are the EGR was never replaced. I bought it at around 232K miles and it had been well maintained. I found a YouTube about checking the EGR valve by removing the top bolt from the pipe at the EGR valve and sliding a putty knife in there and retightening the bottom bolt. I was able to drive it yesterday to get it to operating temp and then I put the putty knife in. This morning it started normally. Over the next few days I’ll idle it to temp and shut it off, watch the coolant level, and try a cold start each morning. I’ll also take an oil sample and run it through our lab at work (CAT dealer) to see if there is any traces of coolant. Here’s the video I referenced. It it turns out to be the EGR valve I’d be overjoyed at spending $160 bucks and replacing it vs. having to go deep again.

7. daveturnswrenches

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven’t been able to work on the Prius for a couple of weeks. I removed the bottom guard and found the inspection plate for the damper and popped it off. There are no pieces of springs laying in the bottom. I started the vehicle multiple times, climbing under the car each time to watch and listen during the actual startup. It will rattle/knock with each start but then clears up. It may seem louder with that inspection plate off but that might be psychological. I can’t see anything else in there. Is there a better way to inspect the damper. How would I know for sure? Nothing else is making sense at this point. Coolant is still dead on the full mark and I tested the egr valve by blocking it off. Still did it.

8. HelloMcFly

HelloMcFly Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Heads warped and a small amount of coolant is on the plugs.
    You’re never to change the head gasket in these cars, there’s always warpage and if you resurface these heads you’ll get timing alerts.

9. DragonTrainer

DragonTrainer New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

So did you figure it out? I am having the same issue.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What's the miles?

11. DragonTrainer

DragonTrainer New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius