1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine removal in process,couple of questions.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by daley, Jan 2, 2021.

1. daley

daley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello,

I am in the process of taking my engine and transmission out of car to be replaced with a new/used unit.

I have everything disconnected apart from the mounts and support frame.

Is it best to disconnect steering rack at the tie rod ends and take the rack out with the support member? Or do I leave the steering rack hanging and remove it from the support?

Also how high do I need car to be to get the engine out, I have it at 23 inches right now, its looking like I can tilt the engine a little and get it out the bottom.

How much are used original cat converters worth? I’ve seen crazy figures mentioned and I was wondering if I should buy a new aftermarket one and sell my old ones, My cat sets a code.

Many thanks
    Daley

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Used OEM Prius Cats can sell on Ebay for $1200 because in California you fail smog inspection if you don't have an OEM cat and brand new they cost $2K or more, because Toyota Stealerships always steal as much as they can from you.

3. daley

daley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    What if they are setting codes? Mine has a spark plug extender in which stops the code, surely not still worth $1200?

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Soak it in bucket of hot water and Dawn dishwashing detergent overnight... The main failure of cats is clogging and if you can make the entry screen up front looks near as clean as the exit screen in back, you might still have a good cat. Of course testing it to be sure will be a hassle, but $1200 bucks might make that effort worth it.

5. daley

daley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Wanted to update this and answer my own questions as there are lots of threads here that don’t have conclusions.

- I took the whole subframe out with steering rack, I ended up needing a new tie rod but it this way gave lots of room and was t that hard.

- I got car up abou 26 inch off the ground total using 2x4 wooden cribbing that I made. Doing it this way I was able to use cherry picker to lower the engine and transmission down onto a small dolly and wheel the engine and trans out of the drivers side wheel well, with the subframe gone there’s just enough room to get around the strut and brake assembly.

edthefox5 likes this.
  6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you sell the cats on ebay for recycling, you'll get around $1300 give or take a few bucks. ebay takes 10% for fees, so that drops you to about $1170. Ebay also started using 21 day holds on money for transactions like this, depending on your seller history...If you want contact info for a legit recycler guy I sell to, let me know. Last ones I sold about 2 months ago, he paid 1150. May be same now, may be slightly different.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Did you consider lifting out through the top?

8. daley

daley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I am not sure it would have come out the top with the transmission attached with the AC line there, maybe its possible but looked like more work to me, bottom was easy really, I did it by myself no helper, just need a cherry picker and a couple of jacks to help line things up and lift the sub frame back up. The last engine I did was a VW tdi and this seemed much easier.

Thanks for the info on cats, I may replace mine and recoup my engine/trans money back.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I always take them out the top! remove wiper panel for clearance, and its actually easier to take engine and transmission together than try to separate

Its not that bad, i have never done out the bottom so i can not say whats easier

Once everything is unbolted unplumbed and un-wired! you kind of dunk the trans down under the floor of the car and let the front of the engine bob up, it kind of comes out sideways to begin with, front of motor comes up first near the right headlight

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe one of those assembly line videos shows what they do at the factory. I'd suspect they lower it in from above.

ozmatt likes this.
  11. ozmatt

ozmatt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    not sure but i would have thought the body would get sat over the running gear, again not sure ..

I do not have a hoist so out the bottom is a ton of effort for me, and to be honest i think out the top is really quite easy!

Mendel Leisk likes this.