1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Repair in Charlotte, NC

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Ge0Dave, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Ge0Dave

Ge0Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I believe I have a blown head gasket in my 2010 Toyota Prius with 180,000 miles. Loud rattling noise on most starts, multiple engine misfire codes, low coolant. I don't see coolant in the oil or white smoke.

After looking at the crazy prices of cars, I have decide that I want to repair the vehicle. I thought about trying to fix it myself but my wife is demanding that a "qualified individual" repair the vehicle. She says I am an excellent Army Geographer and I should stick to what I am good at. It has been parked in the driveway like this for at least 5 months so she is pissed.

I read that TMR-JWAP is in Columbia. I live in Charlotte. I am just trying to figure out the best place to take it. I have a buddy that owns a towing business so I can probably get it somewhere. I just don't want to drive it and do more damage.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe check prices on engines from a wrecker... You could even upgrade with a Gen4 engine and it'd be sort of like having a new car.

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Ge0Dave

Unfortunately, head gasket replacement isn't in my bag of tricks. Keep in mind, it can easily need a lot more than just a gasket if a connecting rod got bent.

The good news is there is a hybrid shop in your neck of the woods.

Hybrid Shop of the Carolinas | Auto Service Center in Charlotte, NC

There's a guy locally that had his brake ABS accumulator/actuator replaced there for a very reasonable price. I think he paid around $900 out the door, with them supplying the used unit. I've been in his car before and after the replacement. They did a solid job. Could be worth checking out.

PriusCamper and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. bigbenaugust

bigbenaugust Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've looked up that shop and if I ever need anything too esoteric for the dealer, I might go there. Not too far from my office, either.