1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine Replaced then b1498 AC Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by bk2049, Mar 3, 2023.

1. bk2049

bk2049 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Had my engine replaced months ago, which led to AC no longer blowing cold air and a b1498 code. Guys who replaced it said the problem was the high voltage cable. Bought a used one but my regular mechanic said that wasn't the problem. Took it to Toyota and they said the problem was wire harness #2 (wanted a fortune to replace it) & a fuse but couldn't be sure that there wasn't more wrong with the compressor once that was fixed. Took it to another place that replaced the wire harness & fuse for a reasonable price but AC is still blowing air that's not cold. I'm trying to figure out if the problem is that I need to replace the entire compressor (which I don't think I'll do based on the prices I've seen) or if there is another likely explanation. If it's blowing air but the air isn't cold is that a symptom of an entirely bad compressor? Any knowledge you can share is helpful.

Limey Geoff likes this.
  2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Given the amount of electrical work done, I would scan the entire car with a capable scantool and see if all systems "are happy". If so, then I would hook up pressure gauges to the system and start diagnosing like any "A/C doesn't blow cold" complaint.

What are static pressures, does the compressor engage at all, high side vs low side pressures (is system low on charge), condenser fans operate, good blower airflow through the dash, temperature air door function ok, etc.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bk2049 likes this.