1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine replacement options

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by donzoh1, Aug 24, 2019.

1. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm having trouble finding a Gen 3 motor without spending 1000 on eBay. Local pick n pulls really have no gen 3 cars. Any other cars used the same or similar motor? I don't mind a simple pipe reroute or so but would like to avoid a bunch of computer mapping, etc.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Gen 4 is very close.

This is swapping a 4th gen into a v, but same as swap into 3rd gen. Epic video saga by @Ragingfit :

Swapping in a Gen 4 Prius' 2ZR Engine into the Prius v | Page 10 | PriusChat

He retains the third gen intake/exhaust manifolds, throttle body, and EGR components.

And a couple of threads by @cnc97:

Engine swap question | PriusChat

Gen 4 to Gen 3, what you need to know | PriusChat

Similar to above, but he retains also the third gen cylinder head.

There's another guy here, @Sandog53 , who's in the midst of a swap, similar to @Ragingfit but also attempting to use fourth gen intake manifold, throttle body and EGR components. He bent the 3rd gen exhaust manifold to EGR pipe to accomodate 4th gen EGR cooler location. He might actually be wrapped up. He's posting in the last few pages of the first link above. Commencing here:

Swapping in a Gen 4 Prius' 2ZR Engine into the Prius v | Page 8 | PriusChat

#2 Mendel Leisk, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Dave Hanson likes this.
  3. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    car-part.com is a national group of "junkyards".

Here's a link to where I looked up on the Kansas city Mo area...you can put in your area but it will show nationwide starting with nearest to you.
    Search Results
    Looks like this link doeasn't work so just type in car-part.com and you can look it up....there are plenty available but they aren't cheap!

#3 bettergolf, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  4. spiralhelix

spiralhelix Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What’s wrong with your engine you need a swap? If your heads are good, you can get a brand new short block assembly for under $2k. I believe it comes with the updated pistons and rings too (but don’t quote me on it, ask a dealer to verify)

-Spiral

The Critic and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. Dave Hanson

Dave Hanson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I also have completed the swap, using the gen4 egr and intake. It's in the gen3 technical discussion, not sure how to link it though.