1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine revving/over-throttling during mild acceleration

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AndresBee, Jul 9, 2022.

1. AndresBee

AndresBee New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Hey all, forum virgin heah. 2014 Prius C One, 95k mi. Original owner. Well maintained.

Over the past year or so I've started to notice occasional engine over-revving during normal acceleration that seems to take a while to wind down--like longer than normal. Being in AZ, the AC is probably blasting and it's usually real hot outside. I've also noticed a drop in MPGs over the past 6months or so, but that may well be a separate issue. Any idears? Is my ride doomed?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius adjusts engine use based on how many amps of power are available from the battery pack... As battery packs get older and need reconditioning they lose capacity/amos and require more engine revs/power than before.

You can deep cycle your hybrid battery several times to restore capacity using a Maxx Volts or Hybrid Automotive product or you can build your own for much less cost: Build Hybrid Battery Maintenance Gear For Under $100 | PriusChat

Also if you want to upgrade, by November 2022 a superior battery pack with way more amps and faster charge rate will be available from these folks: https://projectlithium.com/?ref=9qLPw

3. AndresBee

AndresBee New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for your response PriusCamper. I also camp regularly out of my Prius C. Man I was hoping I'd get a lot more mileage out of this battery before it started to fizzle out, but I suppose the desert takes its toll on these things. I'd be curious to know what other desert Prius owners' experiences are like.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Clean the battery cooling fan if you haven't been there lately.

Yes, your car is doomed.... in the sense that they all are, mine included. Time and heat work against these batteries whether you drive them or not.