1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine rotating back as accelerating

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by forrest_fire1, Jul 22, 2022.

1. forrest_fire1

forrest_fire1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just did engine swap. Under acceleration the engine rotates about an inch and a half towards the back of the car. I've done visual inspections of all engine mounts of which all appear to be good. Attached is short vid of rear flexing with pry bar.

The rotation is so great it flexes the header/ exhaust coupling and makes clunk sound.

Any suggestions as to why this may be occurring and what solution could be?

- John

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'll have to go try this on the 2013 persona in the morning it's got stuff where I can see pretty good when I try to do this I know there's a big bolt that goes in the exhaust that attaches the exhaust to the side of the engine or transmission or something it's a big long thing that may help keep everything straight and then the obvious amount but they have bolts going through them and what not but when you moving that pry bar whatever amount you're showing in that video is flexing a good bit I mean yeah you certainly need to find out why maybe putting Jack under the back of the transmission and jack up slowly and see what's moving what state country or part of the country are we in Rust belt?

3. forrest_fire1

forrest_fire1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No rust. Central Oregon

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, it is supposed to rotate that direction under that torque, and that's why they make the mounts flexible. I haven't measured mine to see whether its movement is an inch and a half or less than that. Inch and a half does sound kind of extreme, but where are you measuring? Top of the valve cover?

If you're sure there isn't a mount that is somehow damaged or overly flexible, might there be a way to realign the exhaust so it can move without touching whatever it's clunking on?

I had an old Bronco II where a transmission shop put the skid plate back on backwards under the transfer case. That meant part of the plate was under the catalytic converter, and every time I accelerated, the cat got pressed down against the plate. About a year later the catalytic converter broke right off from that repeated flexing.