1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Engine RPM's go up, hardly any acceleration

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Robert Taylor, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

Hi all,

I took my three youngest to Walt Disney World for a few days on spring break and kept the Prius on the left lane on Interstate 75 on the return. The general speed in that lane is about 85 miles per hour, give or take 5 miles per hour. While by no means is this a floored throttle speed for the car, when I would hit the throttle at 85 MPH some, the car ICE would rev up more than the speed increase at first, sort of a delayed acceleration response.

While the car was not at maximum load capacity, we did have quite a bit of stuff, including a loaded cooler full of ice and water, clothes, all my kids stuff around them, etc. and the car does get a tad bit less fuel economy with that loaded condition vs myself as the sole cargo.

I am wondering about that power curve on the engine, does that delayed acceleration speed thing sound normal? I keep reading where the power band of the ICE is in the higher rev range.

The car handled okay at speed as well, but the crosswinds coming down, coming as gusts from zero to 10/15 MPH winds hitting the side of the car made it dance on the road. I think much of that is attributable to the 40 PSIG front tires/38 PSIG (psig=pounds per square inch, gauged)

Does anyone have experience with crosswinds dance at speed issues?

If I went back to 35/33 does the more flexible tire sidewall reduce the dancing some?

2. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Hi Robert,

I think 75 is about the max speed I've been up to in the car, and not enough to notice crosswind problems. But I am used to small cars and all are more affected by wind that I've owned than bigger heavier ones. My Mercedes 190D was at least as bad, and I think worse.

Also it just occurred to me handling would have to be a bit affected on some road surfaces by the different width front vs back! I see about an inch difference in the specs.

But at my normal speeds of 55 to 65 around here: I just removed my
    Michelin Xice tires for the stock Prius ones for summer. And what a difference. Feels like a different car.

Before every car I owned got worse handling with snow tires! This is the opposite! Can't wait to wear out these tires and get some good ones for
    summer. (Planning to try Michelin Energy ones for the LRR)

As to the power delay. Might be normal? I notice more delay at low speeds around here when it is cold and battery shuts down. For a given acceleration the car engine revs about 1000 rpm higher than normal in those conditions. 85 could be a speed where the electric motor just can't supply much torque anymore.